Light Meter

This section will include any new tips and tutorials related to the Solus.
hx19035
Novice
Light Meter

Postby hx19035 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:31 pm

I've been wondering how much the lamp in my Optoma has been degrading over time so I decided to start keeping track of the brightness. I installed Light Meter from the google play store and am peaking at around 63404 lux.

Can anyone else verify their results? The sensor on your phone is by the ear piece. It's the one that recognizes that you are either holding the phone in front of you or have it next to your ear. I've been measuring by lightly touching my phone onto the quartz for a second. It's the only way to get accurate results since holding it 1" away will yield different results.

Here's what the app looks like (not sure about posting URLs....hope this works): LightMeter

Chris
Messerbr
Solus Expert

Re: Light Meter

Postby Messerbr » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:27 pm

71960 lx is what I'm reading for our InFocus 8606HD using that App. Not sure how accurate that is though since our lamp has about 4,000 hours on it and cant seem to print the SolusWax. How many hours do you have on your projector? Also, what was your calibration factor set to on the App? mine was at 1.0
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:03 pm

Time for a new lamp. Suggest hour replacement is 1500 to 2000. Even thought the lamp says 4000 life.
Messerbr
Solus Expert

Postby Messerbr » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:55 pm

Jewelermdt wrote:Time for a new lamp. Suggest hour replacement is 1500 to 2000. Even thought the lamp says 4000 life.
Definitely. Ordered a new one today. Just thought I'd share what the light reader was showing on my lamp which definitely needs to be swapped out. Will do the same test on the new one which might tell us if the lux/brightness readings are a more precise way to tell when the lamps need to be replaced.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:04 pm

I don't think it's a precise way of telling if the bulb needs to be replaced. Maybe unless you use a spectrometer.

I've had a bulb that had 1500 hours on it that started flickering. Your lux meter would not detect that.

Also just measuring lux is not enough. UV output might have a different falloff curve.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/