Make sure machine is LEVEL.

This section will include any new tips and tutorials related to the Solus.
TJLuxe
Make sure machine is LEVEL.

Postby TJLuxe » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:06 pm

Always check the little bubble Level on your machine to make sure it is on a flat plane. I have always had good but slightly mixed results with my machine over 3 years. I never once checked the level after setting it up. I started having lines on my prints and fails the last little bit and this seems to be part of the issue. I have my machine on a solid desk but I noticed it still gets knocked off level pretty easy between the desk getting hit and replacing the film. I started making sure it is level before I hit start each time and a lot of the lines and failures have cleared up. This is just one of the keys to better prints... film tension and machine calibration are all factors and the machine being level is part of that.
nzfinescale
Novice

Re: Make sure machine is LEVEL.

Postby nzfinescale » Wed May 29, 2019 10:40 pm

FWIW My machine is way off level and has been since I owned it and for most of the 10L or so of resin that have been through it. Haven't had any problems.
sochin
Novice

Re: Make sure machine is LEVEL.

Postby sochin » Fri May 31, 2019 11:11 pm

nzfinescale wrote:FWIW My machine is way off level and has been since I owned it and for most of the 10L or so of resin that have been through it. Haven't had any problems.

Mine is not that far off level.....but it has never been level for the nearly two years now I have used it and I have not had any issues.

For the frst 6 months I used it I was printing on top of my desk. I unhooked it from the projector after every print (once the projector had cooled) and put it away to save space. Never had an issue but from what I have read here it seems it is best to set the machine up and not move it. Now it stays in the same place and I never move it....prints not any more excellent and it is still not level.

For me film and screw tension seem to effect the prints more than anything. I only ever get lines when I have suction issues on large objects. Layout and orientation usually fix this....or putting a hole in the model to releave the suction during printing and fill post print.

After that, even if my film is not damaged, putting a fresh one on every 6 months (I do not print large volume) or so helps for me. With the Asiga the trays were so expensive you wanted to use them to death often to the detriment of print quality. With the Solus the films are cheap to replace.

cheers,
Sochin