'hi-tech' upgrades

This section will include any new tips and tutorials related to the Solus.
Furqueron
Novice
Re: 'hi-tech' upgrades

Postby Furqueron » Sat May 28, 2016 6:56 am

Had a longish reply and then hit the wrong key and lost it...sigh...getting late.

Liking it so far...do have some odds and ends to run by ya'll...but too tired to retype it now.

Anyways here's some photos.

Pardon the quality...I get the hand-me-down iphones from my sons. I just got upgraded from a 3GS to a 5S yay!

These are from the first printer we bought. Nothing that pushes limits yet. Just some quick parts to get his current model done. Bear in mind we're total nubes to 3D printing. Things are printed straight up not at an angle..still learning supports...so you'll notice a few sags, but hey we're learning! All parts except spade/hinge were done at 25xyz. Spade/hinge done at 42 xyz if I grabbed the right two.

Emil, I think I RCA'd the cause of the leak...ironically its a double failure based with its roots in the comment I made the other day about having to reboot the PC because CW runs out of memory...if you haven't guessed already...you're gonna love it when I tell ya. Lets just say an automated shutter would have prevented it. I think we'll be building one shortly to prevent this in the future.
IMG_4809.JPG
IMG_4805.JPG
IMG_4806.JPG
IMG_4807.JPG
IMG_4808.JPG
Furqueron
Novice

Postby Furqueron » Sat May 28, 2016 6:58 am

IMG_4813.JPG
IMG_4811.JPG
IMG_4812.JPG
and since I'm over the limit...here's the annex to complete the photos:
Furqueron
Novice

Postby Furqueron » Sat May 28, 2016 3:09 pm

While in the process of ingesting required daily caffeine dosage pulled out the macro lens.

Lighting isn't great, its just off the desktop and didn't pull out the image stacker software so depth of field isn't great.

So for the record, we're not associated with Reify, Junction 3D nor do we personally know anyone from those companies prior to talking to them about sample prints etc.

For others who look at this bear a couple of things in mind. We're total nubes at 3D printing. Just started getting into it a couple of weeks ago for all practical purposes. Bought the first printer a while back but it sat for as we had some other priorities to get done. Plus, all we had then was MJuice and were not getting anywhere near the results we wanted for finish. Then along came Solus Resin, just in time.

Our first calibration print attempts with MJuice were, well, disappointing.

While working with Emil to resolve the MJuice, he mentioned that the new Solus Resin was out. Well, I placed an order right then and there (ya'll REALLY need to send email updates to folks about product updates!). Opened it, poured it into a new vat and never looked back at MJ. Our first calibration prints at 25xyz on Thing 1 (official name for first printer as of this moment....by the way if you have multiple machines...BE SURE to watch which build plate you use on which machine...and the SolusR dissolved permanent marker..so that don't work)...included a quarter of a stepped pyramid. .05" instep, .05" up step. Prints proved to come out at about .0512 (or close, I slept since then). That's without adjusting focus, sizing, exposure time..that was first attempt. Back sides (which were flat all the way up) turned out very smooth without magnification. Put on the ol optivisor and looked while on phone with Emil, said I saw some build lines, he was surprised, but he didn't realize I had an optivisor on; that was a funny moment).

Bottom line, this resin prints the smoothest of any finishes I've personally seen from 3D printers under 30k period. Probably over 30k as well, but I haven't seen any prints from that price range. Now, while we may be new to the actual printing...I've been researching (anal engineer type here) 3d printers for about 2 year The Solus was the printer that finally caught my eye with the potential to do what we want. I liked the photos of the approach to how it is built...central screw, dual guides. made logical sense on the approach. It looked solid and it is. With this new resin (once I got over the price heartattack!) I think over the next couple of months we'll get to that next level of finish we're after. And again, we're total nubes and are getting far better results than I've seen elsewhere.

The machines themselves are so darned easy to use, if you've been on the fence...get the plastic out, hock the kids the car the wife, whatever...get one or two! They're that good, especially now with this new resin.

Anyways, here's some photos they're from Thing 1 at 25xyz. We probably did everything in the book wrong when printing them :-). I
DSC_0240.JPG
DSC_0243.JPG
DSC_0245.JPG
DSC_0248.JPG
DSC_0237.JPG
gnore the small debris on the prints, don't have time to blow them off before prints...gotta get back to it...hit the road on Wednesday and he (my son) is no where near finished!
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Sat May 28, 2016 8:10 pm

That looks super smooth! Like injection molded ;)
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
Furqueron
Novice

Postby Furqueron » Sun May 29, 2016 6:15 am

Couple more quick shots. Tomorrow, going to try printing a long somewhat narrow part...bolt head details about a quarter size of those on the spades.

FYI: Running W10 was with 8 gig. CW did not like that at all with a lot of parts. Started running slow as more parts were added, gets exacerbated when you start moving parts around, sometimes froze up altogether. Upgraded memory to 16 gig and that helped a lot.
Attachments
DSC_0257.JPG
DSC_0255.JPG
flovv

Postby flovv » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:57 pm

20160601_194948.jpg

Why you don´t use it as normal?
samatheang
Solus Expert

Postby samatheang » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:27 pm

Thank you for sharing, guys. The funny thing is since I got the printer about a month ago, I have never had time to figure out how to hang the build plate :D, and yeah, somehow it is not that obvious to me. When I see the last picture, I was like :o :lol: .
Furqueron
Novice

Postby Furqueron » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:22 pm

My son, Jon-Luc, has a large number of small parts with tightly packed supports to print. The issue he ran into when hanging it the "correct" way, is that as soon as he goes to remove it, a lot of resin that was caught in the supports immediately runs off and of course, where does it head to? The projector lens (that's where the ham cover came into use). This was even after waiting 15-30 minutes for it to drain. He started hanging it at a 45 degree angle upside down...and guess what. It does drain faster and it drains more completely. So while its not "the correct way" it is more effective at least in our case. YMMV of course.

I'm thinking to either make an off-printer build platform holder w a resin catch -or- to make something like a "lip" that can extend off the edge to funnel it back into the resin tank. I'm thinking the former as I'm a bit concerned the platform could fall when at an angle. If it wasn't for the build platform possibly falling while at a 45, I'd be all for him using it in that configuration.

We survived Wonderfest, but have Eaglequest this weekend. After that I'll start looking at a long term solution, e.g. off printer platform holder. Also going to get an engraver to mark the build tables (we have two printers and three tables). Don't want to get the build tables confused between Thing 1 and Thing 2.

Jesse/Jon-Luc
Furqueron
Novice

Postby Furqueron » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:26 pm

P.S.

I notice from other folks pictures that they're printing on desks etc with a nice surface. We have our printers on a workbench with a painted top. We have that covered with wax paper, and glad that we did, makes the inevitable (ok, maybe just inevitable in our case) drips etc a lot easier to clean up. Also have a paper towel holder installed right next to the printers. Now we may be a bit more prone to drips as we go into what I would call a "production" mode where we are printing continuously for hours. You get in a hurry or you have resin caught in supports...the work top is going to get something on it. So for us, wax paper is a quick/cheap way to have a clean(able) workspace.
SWDesign
Novice

Postby SWDesign » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:15 pm

Thank you so much for the drip hanger picture! I have been so puzzled that it was designed to drip onto the casing. Ha ha! (Of course it wasn't, I just didn't figure it out) :roll: