Questions About Basic Calibration

This section will include any new tips and tutorials related to the Solus.
KBS756
Novice
Questions About Basic Calibration

Postby KBS756 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:18 pm

I am getting my printer by Friday and was wondering if there were any tutorials on how to calibrate the build plate if it is off ... And also if there is any type of hot spotting with the projector lamp how one would correct for that

I have a B9C and there is a process by which to calibrate prints focus and exposure time ... does this exist for the solus as well?

Thanks

Looking to hopefully get a smooth transition into printing with the Solus .... have already been working with a B9C almost daily for a year
Bitter Jeweler

Re: Questions About Basic Calibration

Postby Bitter Jeweler » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:26 am

Out of curiosity, what made you get a Solus, when you have a B9?
(I have a B9 v1.1)
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:46 am

It's mostly adjusting the focus and zoom on the projector so the gird measures to your Build size. Before you put down paper on the quartz, make sure the lines of the grid do NOT go down the sides of the quartz table. It the paper is on top you don't see this and could be off in your measurements. When done make sure you "hide" the calibration grid. Or you will print it.

Also when set up make sure the build platform is totally flat on the table. I had this issue.

Exposure times and such is set in CW configure windows.

Haven't heard anything about hot spot on the lamp with the Solus.
KBS756
Novice

Postby KBS756 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:42 am

B9's software has a Fade and Balance configuration in order to deal with lamp hot spoting on that printer which is why I was curious

And to answer Bitter Jeweler's question.

I am looking to expand what I do quantity wise so I was looking at an additional printer in addition to the B9 ... Heard about this and not needing to deal with PDMS and after some research and seeing the sample prints I decided to see if it could be a better option.

Don't get me wrong I've gotten beautiful prints off my B9 ... in fact I have 4 pieces printing right now on it. But after the PDMS gets cloudy I start to lose definition or the thin easy to use supports I try to use start failing and causing failed prints.

Somehow some people manage to get a lot of life out of their PDMS ... with my printing nearly almost every day ... its a weekly hassle.

From what I can tell so far ... Creative Workshop does not feel as intuitive as B9's software ... but I guess I can just export 1 large STL pre arranged from Gemvision Matrix to counter that

Btw ... Does B9 Cherry count as a slow curing resin and require the removal of the UV Filter?
robin
Solus Expert

Postby robin » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:08 pm

KBS756 wrote: Btw ... Does B9 Cherry count as a slow curing resin and require the removal of the UV Filter?

Yes, for the b9 cherry, you have to remove the UV filter.
Bitter Jeweler

Postby Bitter Jeweler » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:15 pm

Hey, thanks Robin, the first question I had about getting started (removing the UV filter)!

KBS, thanks for explaining.
I figured it was dealing with PDMS. I is funny how some users say PDMS is no big deal, and how it lasts for months, and others hate it.
When I was trying to use my B9 v1.1, that was the biggest issue I had, and it was frustrating. I could only get 2-5 prints before something happened to it.
I got tired of cleaning resin of the vat window. The new v1.2 puts out fantastic prints comparable to Solidscape models, but I just wasn't willing to
buy another PDMS based printer.

I'm hoping the Solus delivers a better user experience. The Solidscape will still be my go to, but I need a backup.
KBS756
Novice

Postby KBS756 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:05 pm

Thanks Robin ... Well UV Filter has been removed

Bitter Jeweler wrote:Hey, thanks Robin, the first question I had about getting started (removing the UV filter)!

KBS, thanks for explaining.
I figured it was dealing with PDMS. I is funny how some users say PDMS is no big deal, and how it lasts for months, and others hate it.
When I was trying to use my B9 v1.1, that was the biggest issue I had, and it was frustrating. I could only get 2-5 prints before something happened to it.
I got tired of cleaning resin of the vat window. The new v1.2 puts out fantastic prints comparable to Solidscape models, but I just wasn't willing to
buy another PDMS based printer.

I'm hoping the Solus delivers a better user experience. The Solidscape will still be my go to, but I need a backup.

I looked at SolidScape when I first was getting into this but the speed really came off as a problem to me. That in addition to the a couple people I know who have told me costs to keep them running can be quite high at times

A couple other questions for everyone ... How is everyone spacing their printer

The Manual says 30 50 50 cm minimum spacing around the projector ...

Given desks are normally only 24 inches deep how are people setting these up to get that kind of spacing?
KBS756
Novice

Postby KBS756 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:50 am

When calibrating is the grid a perfect rectangle because I'm seeing a bowed top edge
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:06 am

I will call you tomorrow and help you calibrate.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/