cured resin dots all over the vat

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
Ellie
Novice
cured resin dots all over the vat

Postby Ellie » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:35 pm

ok so I had a failed set of prints (will ask about fixing them in another topic) and noticed there were 2 single layers of claws stuck to my vat, tried my best to remove them but could only get the 1 off, decided to cure a drop of resin over the top of it under my UV nail lamp but didn’t think of the fact that there were other droplets of resin in the tank still, now I have I don’t know how many tiny lumps of cured resin all over the film :cry: I got the bigger bits off fine but not these tiny ones, I know I’m an idiot for not thinking this would happen, I panicked and this was the only thing I could think of,

We have a spare tank which I can use but can I remove the film and clean it with IPA to remove all the lumps of cured resin and leave it to dry out over the 4 day weekend and then re-install the film when we are back on Tuesday? I know the IPA can damage the acrylic of the tank, hence figured its best to remove the film?
Attachments
20160324_132900.jpg
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Re: cured resin dots all over the vat

Postby mongerdesigns » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:10 pm

We don't recommend putting the tank under uv light. I suggest removing the film to see if you can clean the cured parts off of it and from the tank. If not, replace the film.

One way of cleaning lots of small cured parts is to remove the build plate and then project a solid white background (without running a print). You can do that by slicing a model the size of the entire build plate then, going to the slice view and pressing the little display icon on the bottom left corner (may have to press a few times for it to display the slice). Project the slice for about 20 seconds then turn it off by clicking the same button again, and it will create a thin layer of cured film inside the tank. You can then gently push up from underneath the tank using a clean microfiber cloth and pick out the cured layer. Should leave the film nice and clean.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
Ellie
Novice

Postby Ellie » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:13 pm

I will remember this for next time, whats the best way for me to clean the whole tank and film?
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:17 pm

If you do want to remove the film and clean it with IPA you won't have to wait very long for it to dry.
Ellie
Novice

Postby Ellie » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:21 pm

ok that's great thanks for your help, fingers crossed I havent damaged the film
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:31 pm

Often the film can look pretty rough and still print fine.