Teardrop pendant warped

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
Ted Broadside
Novice
Teardrop pendant warped

Postby Ted Broadside » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone explain why this pendant has warped? are my supports too thin? is the pendant too heavy and would angling it slightly make any difference? This is the 4th print on this pendant and it's happened every time.
Attachments
TP side on.PNG
TP side on.PNG (451.89KiB)Viewed 10096 times
TP side.PNG
TP side.PNG (423.37KiB)Viewed 10096 times
CADjewelrySchool
Novice

Re: Teardrop pendant warped

Postby CADjewelrySchool » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:06 pm

1. Have you tried printing 2-3 duplicates of the pendant at the same time?
I you are printing in the same location on the build platform each time, you may find there is a bubble/mark on the teflon film in that spot.

2. How is it oriented on the build platform?
It's best to orient on the Solus front/back not left/right.

3. What is the distance from the base of the prongs to the first contact point on your model?
It looks like the base of the pendants needs to be lifted. In SC it automatically lifts 4mm from the base to place prongs, if you are creating prongs in another app, I suggest lifting the model up at least 3.5mm-4mm from the ground plane.

4. The prongs do look very thin - did you created them in Solus Contour, maybe you're using the old Creation WorkShop, or another app?
I used to use conical supports in CAD before SC, they would taper from 1.5mm to a 0.3mm tip. In Solus Contour I generally use 1mm thick supports with a 0.3mm tip, and if I have to place any manual supports I vary the tip size from 0.2 - 0.6 mm depending on the detail, or if I want to secure the bottom of an object to the build platform.

If you are not using Solus Contour I suggest you buy it. It will automatically calculate the prongs, you can add more manually if required, and it will save you loads of time and money :-)

sc-base-prongs.jpg
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:46 am

Don't rely on Contour to put in every support that's needed. Look a the model close. If you see bright green dots-lines, these are areas that need support but Contour didn't put in supports. Depends on you model.

I would also make those supports wider to go from edge to edge to give the best support. Would not hurt to put a couple on each side half way up.
Ted Broadside
Novice

Postby Ted Broadside » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:26 am

Hi,

I printed 2 models and they were front to back. I have Solus Contour but I always make my supports in Matrix. The supports were .4mm thick and the distance to the 1st point of contact was 2mm. I'll make the supports wider on the next print and also give them a taper. Will post results later.
Attachments
distance.PNG
eg123
Novice

Postby eg123 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:09 pm

Ted Broadside,
I see that your supports are in a straight line.
See about putting them in zigzag position.
That should get you more stability.
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:30 pm

If you are going to print it on its side like that use a .5mm thick fin support the length of all the support you have now. It is very easy the clean up after you print and you wont have any sagging.