Warping in Print (Z)

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
Robert
Novice
Warping in Print (Z)

Postby Robert » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:38 am

Hey guys,

So I have done all the scaling checks, calibration etc on the printer and have found that my prints are coming out warped.

This is worse with taller models.

Now, I also have had to lift the projector at the rear, using the screws underneath to lift it up. I'm wondering if the trajectory of the light it causing this? I can't see how it would, as the grid appears to be perfect to me.

I have also had to disassemble my Solus before, so I wonder if I knocked the mirror, or if the mirror is no longer where it should be.

I also wonder if, perhaps, the bulb is not in the projector quite how it should be.

What would you recommend I do to troubleshoot this? I've contacted my local distributor for advice, but figured a wider spread request for knowledge might be handy, to see if anyone else has had this issue. Obviously for printing rings, etc, this kind of problem is quite a big one - so I'm sure it's easily resolved.
reify
Site Admin

Re: Warping in Print (Z)

Postby reify » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:36 pm

Any distortion on the XY shouldn't cause Z warping as it will be consistent the whole way up the print.

I'd guess there is either an air bubble under the film because it's too loose or your supports aren't large/dense enough and the print is shifting.
Robert
Novice

Postby Robert » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:41 pm

Hey there,

I read elsewhere that it might be that it's too loose. I just put new film on again a bit tighter this time.

Thanks for your advice! Really appreciate the support you folks give.
Robert
Novice

Postby Robert » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:52 pm

Hmm tried with tighter film and also wayyyy more supports.

Same issue and the amount of supports has increased the amount that break, making lots of issues with the surface of the print... :cry:

I heard from another Solus user today that you can calibrate the build head plate. I have never ever done this, so wonder if this is the issue.
robin
Solus Expert

Postby robin » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:56 am

Robert wrote:Hmm tried with tighter film and also wayyyy more supports.

Same issue and the amount of supports has increased the amount that break, making lots of issues with the surface of the print... :cry:

I heard from another Solus user today that you can calibrate the build head plate. I have never ever done this, so wonder if this is the issue.

I recommend using the "ring supports" under manual supports tab to hold the ring and then place any extra supports as needed. For eternities, I use 0.6mm thick supports in the bottom area to really hold the piece inplace, then switch to 0.3 w/ sphere touch points to support the rest. This hasn't failed me yet.

I've checked the build plate to see if it's level and haven't needed to adjust it so far but here's a video showing how to do that: https://reify3d.wistia.com/medias/j9n1qcpjo8
Robert
Novice

Postby Robert » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:17 pm

I really wish I was printing rings!

I'm printing miniature figurines.

However, I WILL check if the print head is level, thank you for your advice.

I really wish there was a consolidated troubleshooting and user manual PDF! :)
robin
Solus Expert

Postby robin » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:45 am

Robert wrote:I really wish I was printing rings!

I'm printing miniature figurines.

However, I WILL check if the print head is level, thank you for your advice.

I really wish there was a consolidated troubleshooting and user manual PDF! :)

There's plenty of info if you browse the "help and troubleshooting" forums. All the rest of the troubleshooting videos can be found here https://reify3d.wistia.com/projects/ztww6a0tqj
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:50 am

Hi,

Please email me at reify3d@gmail.com and I'll help you debug this issue.
Robert
Novice

Postby Robert » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:16 pm

Hey Mark,

Sent you an email - cheers!