Failing quality without changing anything

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
MargoArgo
Novice
Re: Failing quality without changing anything

Postby MargoArgo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:32 am

Alright, conspiracy theory number next. (Got 0 out of 10 prints today). So, the only thing that really changes is that I started a new bottle of resin. That can also be a reason, right?
So I poured resin from the bottle not directly to the vat, but through mesh, and the result is on the photo. Some very small dots/pieces are there, and some are too small to be filtered out by mesh. Can it cause printing failure?
Attachments
20180807_102452.jpg
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:10 am

HI,

Please email me at reify3d@gmail.com and I'll check your computer settings if that's ok.
rsaldivar
Solus Master

Postby rsaldivar » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:15 pm

you mean there was cured pieces in your new bottle ? how would that happen ? heat in transportation ? or cool in trans.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:40 am

is that the new Solus Wax? Did you heat up the whole bottle? Mix it like crazy? Then pour?
I found with to 1st SWax, it would cure around the bottle cap. Had to be careful not to get it in the pour. Have not tried the New yet. Waiting to use up my old first.
MargoArgo
Novice

Postby MargoArgo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:21 pm

With Mark's help I got some local improvements - not all the platform fails to print, but only a half of it :shock:
My understanding of this printer is minimal, so I really don't understand why this is happening. Resin is well mixed, surfaces clean, settings correct, supports sufficient.. And now the second half of the build platform began to demonstrate fails, middle of the models gets cut out. Any ideas what it can be?
Attachments
20180815_093914.jpg
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:30 pm

Supports look thin. increase diameter SWax need thick supports. Use .4 to .6 tips. Do not use sphere tips.
MargoArgo
Novice

Postby MargoArgo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:17 pm

Jewelermdt wrote:Supports look thin. increase diameter SWax need thick supports. Use .4 to .6 tips. Do not use sphere tips.

all those are models I could successfully print before :( but I hear you, I'll remake the supports and give it a try
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Using the same resin? I just started using the latest SWax. I printed great with the first version of it yesterday morning before I ran very low on the resin. Filled with the new SW and had one ring print fine but my pendant has not printed yet.

@ Emil.

I deleted the profiles like you said. Now after restart, I have NO solus wax profile. Would not update.
MargoArgo
Novice

Postby MargoArgo » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:36 am

I'm using my first bottle of wax, not touching the new one yet, but poureverything through a very fine mesh and mix it with some heavy bolts very long.

So I tried .4 and .6 supports only, nothing thinner, got good results on that half of the build plate where it always worked, BUT here's what I keep seeing on the other - the layers of lattice start falling down like they aren't properly cured and that's how the models on the other bad half get ruined. What can it be? Lattice is supposed to keep models firmly attached to the plate, why is it falling down in thin layers? Hmm... I really need the full build plate surface (I'm even thinking about getting the second printer I need to print so much..)

Jewelermdt wrote:Using the same resin? I just started using the latest SWax. I printed great with the first version of it yesterday morning before I ran very low on the resin. Filled with the new SW and had one ring print fine but my pendant has not printed yet.

@ Emil.

I deleted the profiles like you said. Now after restart, I have NO solus wax profile. Would not update.
CADjewelrySchool
Novice

Postby CADjewelrySchool » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:49 am

The build plate does not look too scuffed. We used to use 120 grit sandpaper, but now use 80 grit to scuff up the build plate. Make sure you wipe the aluminium dust/filings afterwards with a wet cloth/paper a few times till you don't see any black coming off.

Also you should try the gel that Junction 3D are now selling for use with SolusWax:
"We now sell an adhesive gel that solves that issue for SolusWax. The prints won't fall off and stick really well."
http://www.junction3d.com/buy/build-plate-adhesion-gel