Failing quality without changing anything

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
CADjewelrySchool
Novice
Re: Failing quality without changing anything

Postby CADjewelrySchool » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:58 am

The Z arm is upside down. The cylinder bearings should be under the arm/not on top of it. You will need to take the lead screw off and remove the Z arm, rotate it 180 deg, so that the bearing cylinder slips onto the stainless steel rods first.
MargoArgo
Novice

Postby MargoArgo » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:37 am

CADjewelrySchool wrote:The Z arm is upside down. The cylinder bearings should be under the arm/not on top of it. You will need to take the lead screw off and remove the Z arm, rotate it 180 deg, so that the bearing cylinder slips onto the stainless steel rods first.

I already did, thank you :)
MargoArgo
Novice

Postby MargoArgo » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:41 am

So I double-checked and cleaned everything, including the insides of the printer. As a result a model I really needed to get printed could at least stuck to the build plate. But I keep seeing a problem on the same height with all my prints, it used to be a deep print line, or a missing layer and a failed print as a result, now part of the model was on the build plate, and some part of it on the film. What may cause a problem always on the same height?
20180819_082808.jpg
20180819_082625.jpg
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:31 am

My guess would be a support issue. Can you show how you supported it?

ALSO You did not answer Emil question. Where did you get your printer? Second Hand? Distributor? This could answer a lot of question and get you printing.
MargoArgo
Novice

Postby MargoArgo » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:57 am

Jewelermdt wrote:My guess would be a support issue. Can you show how you supported it?

ALSO You did not answer Emil question. Where did you get your printer? Second Hand? Distributor? This could answer a lot of question and get you printing.

I've angled that model a bit and got it printed almost fine, some chunks of wax were missing like cut away (I searched warping issues in this part of forum and it looks similar).

I've got my printer from Micron3D. I had some trouble setting it up due to my total lack of experience with 3D printing, but they kindly helped me with everything and when I got my printer back from them it worked perfectly for 2 weeks. Would be contacting them directly, but they are away on vacations for all August.
MargoArgo
Novice

Postby MargoArgo » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:11 am

Here's the model that I cannot get printed, both in Contour and on the build plate.
The tilt plate drops with a loud sound, can it be the cause?
Attachments
20180825_103718.jpg
Screenshot_20180825-103914_Gallery.jpg
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:18 am

The loud sound could be you have resin on the quartz and it's sticking to the film on the tilt. If your vat does not slide very easy on the quartz, it's not clean. I get loud pop on the first few layers. If you are using the latest Contour, try using the lattice for better adhesion. I always try to put my prints in the middle of the build area. You can sometimes not get good pressure of the build plate to the quartz on the edges. I think we mentioned to check the build platform calibration to make sure the corners are flat to the table.

That section that's missing needs a support there because it looks like it bows out from the rest on the design. Auto supports do not always find these areas. Look close in the support mode. If you see a bright green spot, that area needs support.