Flashing issues

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
Kris-D
Novice
Flashing issues

Postby Kris-D » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:48 pm

I'm having a lot of problems with flashing as denoted in this facebook post and the attached picture. I have recently replaced my bulb with a new bulb that was recommended by Emil. The numbers on the back of the bulb match the original bulb identically. I actually ordered two bulb and I am having the same issue with the other one as well. I have checked my RGB settings and it is set to full RBG. The Nvidia controls look a little different in the manual but I'm fairly certain that I have it set correctly. (the screen capture shows the image in the solus manual next to my settings) The only question I have is does the output color depth matter? This was not an option in the older graphics setting interface. If anyone has any suggestions for how to resolve this I would greatly appreciate it.
Attachments
RGB_SETTINGS.JPG
flashing.jpg
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Re: Flashing issues

Postby mongerdesigns » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:17 pm

Kristy,

Seems like you may have adjusted bunch of color settings in the NVIDIA control panel for some reason (brightness, contrast and gamma). That can be the culprit of the flashing. Set those on factory defaults.

Also where it says Output Color depth, why does it say 12? What are the other options?

Nvidia graphics can be temperamental, especially if the driver got updated by windows update for some reason.

I suggest resetting everything in all the nvidia panels to factory settings and then just setting the RGB range to FULL on the DISPLAY/Change Resolution screen.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
Kris-D
Novice

Postby Kris-D » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:55 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I haven't adjusted any settings in the NVIDIA control panel with the exception of the output color depth and the full RGB. The image on the left in my previous post was from the Solus manual and the image on the right are my settings.

The only additional option under output color depth is 8 bpc. After reading the description I'm not sure it really has much impact on the actual print but I wanted to verify that with you. (see attached pic for description)

I have adjusted the brightness on the printer itself to try and resolve my flashing issue. Seeing as this is a new bulb and I was having excessive flashing I reduced the brightness to -4 and increased my bottom exposure to 19 seconds at 30um.

The good news is that I was actually able to get a part to grow last night! It seems like rings are always a little easier but I'm thankful to know that my resin isn't contaminated. I'm going to try the part that I've had repeated failures on today and hope for the best.

Thank you again!
Kristy
Attachments
COLOR DEPTH.JPG
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190116084601129.jpg
Last edited by Kris-D on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Messerbr
Solus Expert

Postby Messerbr » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:31 pm

How did you get the 'light intensity' slider to show up for your Emerald Resin Profile? It looks like you have that turned all the way up, have you tried reducing that setting?
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:10 am

"I have adjusted the brightness on the printer itself to try and resolve my flashing issue. Seeing as this is a new bulb and I was having excessive flashing I reduced the brightness to -4 and increased my bottom exposure to 19 seconds at 30um."

Do you mean in your Projector set up. That is where you should adjust your brightness. And leave the Nivida to default.

The ring looks fuzzy. It should be a lot smoother than that.
Kris-D
Novice

Postby Kris-D » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:03 pm

The print wasn't cured at all so it looks a little fuzzier than it actually is. I adjusted the brightness on the projector itself by pressing the menu button and toggling down to brightness. I didn't adjust the Nivida brightness setting at all.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:33 am

The ring in my opinion should look a lot smoother then that. Do you rinse in alcohol?
Kris-D
Novice

Postby Kris-D » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:16 pm

I do a quick rinse in alcohol. This picture is a little better. I just modeled this for spec. If I was going to actually use it I would revise the font and depth of letters. I'm open to any insights you have into making this a lot better.
Attachments
ring_post.jpg
Messerbr
Solus Expert

Postby Messerbr » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:44 pm

Kris-D wrote:I do a quick rinse in alcohol. This picture is a little better. I just modeled this for spec. If I was going to actually use it I would revise the font and depth of letters. I'm open to any insights you have into making this a lot better.

Have you tried reducing the slider for 'Light Intensity' in the resin profile? The picture you posted showed that it was turned all the way up
Kris-D
Novice

Postby Kris-D » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:35 pm

I actually found out from Emil that the flashing I was seeing from using the project white button will not affect your print quality. So that was my fault for assuming that the project white button was a sufficient way to dial in the exposure. Here is what Emil said about that. "The project white blasts the bottom with bright light. On top of that it’s up to you on how long you want it to project. Flashing can occur if you keep it on for too long. It’s not an indication that there is something wrong with your setup. It’s normal. That module is designed for cleaning the film, not calibration or testing or anything else." I'm still getting flashing when using the project white button no matter how long I expose the vat for but that'll likely resolve itself as the bulb dims.