Tilt motor made a weird noise, now won't home

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
OpedHead
Novice
Tilt motor made a weird noise, now won't home

Postby OpedHead » Fri May 24, 2019 2:47 am

Last night I put a print on before going to bed, homed alright and everything seemed fine besides it made a low brrr noise one of the slices during print but the noise stopped.

In the morning I came down to find the print failed with everything was stuck to the film.

Suspecting it may be the tilt stepper motor in the 'setup' menu on contour I tried to manually move the tilt motor with the +/- buttons and it would make that brrr noise and the quartz would jitter but not really move up or down nicely. Just jitter and stay on the same pitch.

I came to the forums and found a few posts with similar problems where restarting contour, unplugging the printer and USB cables, reset etc etc were recommended

I did this to a T:
"To fix this, please turn off the power from the back, and turn the long Z screw by hand until the arm is up about half way. Exit the Contour software, unplug the USB cable from the back of the printer and press the little reset button next to it. Then plug the cable back, turn on the power, open Contour and run the home cycle again. Whenever running the home cycle please make sure the build plate and the resin tank are completely removed."

After doing this the first time I tried to home the Z arm went down and touched its sensor fine, then the quartz plate went down all the way fine and with virtually no noise, then nothing.

I tried the power off reset thing again *with the quartz plate still down* and the Z arm came down fine, then the quartz tilt motor sounded like it was trying to pull the plate down more but couldn't as it was all the way down already, so I pulled the power, opened it up, un mounted the stepper motor to the tilt and rotated it until the quartz plate was back to it's up and level height, and did the power off, reset thing again.
Now the Z arm goes down then nothing.

I've tried multiple times, restarting the computer etc, nothing.

What do I do now?

Note: I already have the tilt motor upgrade and am running Countor v. 1.9.38.0
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Re: Tilt motor made a weird noise, now won't home

Postby Jewelermdt » Fri May 24, 2019 3:20 am

Is the spring still attached to the table and motor bracket? It might be a bad switch.
OpedHead
Novice

Postby OpedHead » Fri May 24, 2019 2:19 pm

Yeh the spring is/was still on... just testing the homing without the tilt motor connected and manual pressing..

Sensor appears to be working and seems the tilt motor sensor needs two presses to make the z arm go back, or it needs to begin depressed, then released and repressed.

Can someone please verify for me: Before you 'home' it, is the quartz platform all the way up? (depressing the sensor) then the quartz goes down then back up? (to depress the button again)
OpedHead
Novice

Postby OpedHead » Fri May 24, 2019 2:22 pm

Unfortunately this video seems to just miss the quartz movement :cry: https://youtu.be/owHrHIYwYs8?t=58
OpedHead
Novice

Postby OpedHead » Fri May 24, 2019 3:17 pm

Problem Solved it seems :D

For those who care: I ended up reinstalling the tilt - stepper motor so that the quartz plate wasn't all the way up and the sensor button wasn't depressed and it worked that time.

The homing cycle brought it back up to level no problem, and after homing I was able to make it lift and lower without any problem.

The stepper motor makes zero noise now (go figure) and order is reinstated in the universe again - go Solus
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Fri May 24, 2019 10:35 pm

Those dam gremlins will get you every time. It might have been a little dirt-dust. Also check in future that no resin got on frame of table. Will cause sticking and problems.