Support impressions

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
jfjcad
Support impressions

Postby jfjcad » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:28 am

Hi All,

This is my first post on here, however so far the forum has been very useful to me. I have been having successful prints and really pleased with the printer and the emerald resin. One issue I am having is with the supports, I am currently using creation workshop to put my supports on, they are printing excellently but when I cut the supports off they are leaving quite deep impressions on the piece itself. I am wondering if any one else has this problem or has advice as it is effecting the surface quality.
Attachments
IMG_7122.JPG
Archerm
Solus Master

Re: Support impressions

Postby Archerm » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:29 am

Its not the software. The trick is to orient your model so you use the fewest supports you can get by with. It the above piece without seeing the other side I would have printed this piece with only 2 supports standing it upright or maybe at a slight angle. If you have to use that many supports do not cut them so close to the piece and dont snap them off. I would cut them about 1/10mm from the model with a pair of flush cutters then sand or file them down.
jfjcad

Postby jfjcad » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:18 pm

Archerm wrote:Its not the software. The trick is to orient your model so you use the fewest supports you can get by with. It the above piece without seeing the other side I would have printed this piece with only 2 supports standing it upright or maybe at a slight angle. If you have to use that many supports do not cut them so close to the piece and dont snap them off. I would cut them about 1/10mm from the model with a pair of flush cutters then sand or file them down.

Thank you Archerm, I will use your suggested method.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:15 am

It's best to sand after you cure it. Fully cured makes a hard model and can handle easier.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:15 am

jfjcad wrote:Hi All,

This is my first post on here, however so far the forum has been very useful to me. I have been having successful prints and really pleased with the printer and the emerald resin. One issue I am having is with the supports, I am currently using creation workshop to put my supports on, they are printing excellently but when I cut the supports off they are leaving quite deep impressions on the piece itself. I am wondering if any one else has this problem or has advice as it is effecting the surface quality.

Also, it looks like you ripped off the supports instead of carefully cutting them. Ripping them off like that will always leave little craters. Better to cut them off and then sand them down. Basically what they said ;)
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
jfjcad

Postby jfjcad » Sat May 21, 2016 1:11 pm

Thanks Guys, has solved the issue.