Too many fails

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
Argyle
Novice
Re: Too many fails

Postby Argyle » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:45 pm

thinkdiffer wrote:Wow, nice print. You did it without the thumb screws? interesting, did the vat not move during the print? What method did you use to install the new film in the vat? Currently we have a vat that prints well and we didn't stretch the film but i am still not clear on how to install the film.

Thank you

I only use the thumb screws as alignment pins to keep the vat from twisting or shifting while the print is taking place. They don't tighten against anything. The vat hasn't moved during printing. I think after the first handful of layers every thing settles into place.

All the calibration and setup info for everything is here viewtopic.php?f=12&t=104. I recommend you go over the videos thoroughly.

I use the same method for installing my film except I use spacers under the vat while installing the film. I used some dimes from my change jar to do this. :P The spacers are not used while printing & may not be necessary for film installation. Personally I didn't feel the official setup provided enough tension for the gravity only method I'm using, I also wanted a little leeway for stretching.
thinkdiffer
Novice

Postby thinkdiffer » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:58 pm

Argyle wrote:
thinkdiffer wrote:Wow, nice print. You did it without the thumb screws? interesting, did the vat not move during the print? What method did you use to install the new film in the vat? Currently we have a vat that prints well and we didn't stretch the film but i am still not clear on how to install the film.

Thank you

I only use the thumb screws as alignment pins to keep the vat from twisting or shifting while the print is taking place. They don't tighten against anything. The vat hasn't moved during printing. I think after the first handful of layers every thing settles into place.

All the calibration and setup info for everything is here viewtopic.php?f=12&t=104. I recommend you go over the videos thoroughly.

I use the same method for installing my film except I use spacers under the vat while installing the film. I used some dimes from my change jar to do this. :P The spacers are not used while printing & may not be necessary for film installation. Personally I didn't feel the official setup provided enough tension for the gravity only method I'm using, I also wanted a little leeway for stretching.

Thank you, I appreciate the response. I will try your method and see how it works, will post the results soon but i dont have anymore extra film. :D
Argyle
Novice

Postby Argyle » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:20 pm

thinkdiffer wrote:Thank you, I appreciate the response. I will try your method and see how it works, will post the results soon but i dont have anymore extra film. :D

No problem. If what you're doing now is working I'd stick to it. There are a lot of other people on this forum getting great results using the standard methods. That said, if you're having trouble this method can't hurt. Best of luck to you!
Argyle
Novice

Postby Argyle » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:28 pm

In the past thin vertical prints with a lot of flat surface area have been the most difficult to grow. So far so good using this method.
Attachments
print.jpg
print.jpg (164.74KiB)Viewed 14657 times
thinkdiffer
Novice

Postby thinkdiffer » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:31 pm

Yeah my prints are starting come out, using the normal settings and the film installation method. We tested it several times with different models and they all came out pretty nice. Now we are trying to print without the thumb screws and we thought of installing two L-brackets on the opposite corner of the vat to hold it in place so it wont move and it prints out pretty well with consistency. Using this method, I will test different resins and see the print result.

Evan
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:50 am

Just go to a hardware store and buy longer thumb screws.
thinkdiffer
Novice

Postby thinkdiffer » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:16 pm

I recently began setting up for 42xy but while i was calibrating the build area I noticed the grid was not completely on the quartz. As I looked to see why i noticed the quartz was shifted to the left. I was wondering if this would affect my printing quality or cause print failures? Also would like to know what i could do to fix this problem.

Thank you,
Evan
Attachments
quartz2.jpg
quartz.jpg
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:49 pm

Evan,

Send me an email at info@junction3d.com and we will help you with that issue.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:28 am

Do you have very good ventilation where your projector/printer is? I also had that problem. Forgot to turn on my little fan to move out the hot air from projector. My order of double stick tape got lost. I have been using it with good results until I get my tape.
thinkdiffer
Novice

Postby thinkdiffer » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:02 am

Jewelermdt wrote:Do you have very good ventilation where your projector/printer is? I also had that problem. Forgot to turn on my little fan to move out the hot air from projector. My order of double stick tape got lost. I have been using it with good results until I get my tape.

Thank you for the response and yeah i will need to get a small fan to help cope with the projector heat.

Evan