Too many fails

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru
Re: Too many fails

Postby mongerdesigns » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:03 pm

Have you tried recalibrating the build platform?
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
thinkdiffer
Novice

Postby thinkdiffer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:15 pm

mongerdesigns wrote:Have you tried recalibrating the build platform?

I haven't tried calibrating the build plate since the one print where all three sample rings came out but with some cracks and flakes. I will try and re-calibrate the build plate and see if that will help fix this issue. Also do we have to clean the mirror inside the printer after a while? Like maybe if there was some dust on the mirror? Just wondering.
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:54 am

Just to clarify, you are currently using pure emerald? What is your current exposure time?

You shouldn't need to clean the mirror unless it's in a very dusty environment.
thinkdiffer
Novice

Postby thinkdiffer » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:45 am

For the past month i have been experimenting with solus for pre-studying but now i am going back to using default settings for emerald. Currently using pure b9 emerald with default emerald settings haven't changed anything yet. What is the best way for trying to make the film tension even and the whole build area that would make it consistently print. I am trying to figure it out using the thumb screws position by eye and finger. I know by just doing it by eye and finer it is not very accurate but so far that is what we know best. That sounds good at least i don't have to open the printer, afraid of maybe touching something i shouldn't. :D

Thank you,
Evan
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:56 am

Hi,

The vat should sit about 0.5mm above the printer before the thumbscrews are installed. Basically, you want the film as loose as possible but still pulled flat across the quartz with no air pockets under the film (when the thumbscrews are installed). Air pockets can cause lines on the surface or even fails.

If the film tension is correct, have you tried increasing the exposure the time? I suggest increasing instead of decreasing as the fails seem to be happening closer to the back corners and this is where the light is a bit dimmer.
thinkdiffer
Novice

Postby thinkdiffer » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:12 am

Thank you for the response, currently for my vat the right and left corners have more space between the printer than the middle. The middle has a less of a gap between the vat and the printer than the right and left corners do. Should i put something to support the whole vat like a credit card which is around 0.7mm as i know? Will it help change the tension of the vat to where it could be consistent?
Yeah i have decreased the exposure before and haven't yet to try increasing it, i will try it when i get a failed print and see how it does.
Thank you so much, you seem to be busy today. ;)

Thank you,
Evan
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:27 am

If it's sitting too high you can just rub your finger around the edge of the film between the quartz and the vat wall to stretch it out a bit.

We've sold printers to over 50 countries now so every day is busy :)
miniman

Postby miniman » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:50 am

Hi,
Just made a print without the screws of the VAT.
Simply forgot...and just saw the screws as I took the VAT ... without any tension.
And the print is perfect :-)
It is the situation it had to fail...but I forgot to tell him...
Argyle
Novice

Postby Argyle » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:27 pm

I can confirm. I've experienced the same failures & consistent inconsistency. Vat tension is definitely a factor. I'm not positive but to me it seem as though the film tension can change over time, using the thumb screws isn't a very precise way of controlling that tension. I no longer tighten the thumb screws because the slightest screw tension has caused inconsistency, failures & lines in my prints. Letting gravity do the work has been more reliable. I've gone back to using spacers for film installation (dimes) & only use the thumb screws to keep the vat aligned. A couple pegs to hold the vat in alignment would be even better.

Printed 2 sets this morning without thumb screws. No failures & no grow lines.
Attachments
print.jpg
thinkdiffer
Novice

Postby thinkdiffer » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:12 pm

Argyle wrote:Yep I can confirm. I've also been trying to print several items using the entire build plate & experienced the same failures & consistent inconsistency. Vat tension is definitely a major factor. I no longer tighten the thumb screws, I found that even the slightest screw tension caused failures or lines in my prints. Since gravity alone is providing my film tension now I no longer use the recommended film installation method either. For me the only function of the screws is to keep the vat aligned. Really a simple post to hold the vat in alignment would be best.

Printed 2 sets this morning without thumb screws. No failures & no grow lines.

Wow, nice print. You did it without the thumb screws? interesting, did the vat not move during the print? What method did you use to install the new film in the vat? Currently we have a vat that prints well and we didn't stretch the film but i am still not clear on how to install the film.

Thank you