Small channel challenge

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
Sebastien_Lani
Novice
Small channel challenge

Postby Sebastien_Lani » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:58 am

hi all

it is not a simple task but I need to fabricate the following structure:
Channel:
design3c.tif

Enclosed view of the 50x50um part:
design3c2.tif

It is a microfluidic channel (master, it will be molded later), with various width, average thickness is 0.4mm. There is a small part of 0.05x0.05mm cross section, and it is the tricky point. All the others parts of the channel are easily achieved at the correct value.
Normally I will have to print it on a substrate (either glass or silicon) but I also tried to make it directly on the build plate.
I used the solus proto with 42xy. I tried exposure values from 2800 to 5000 but I was not able to get the small section of the channel on a substrate or the build plate. I tried to 10 to 25um for z thickness
I print the structure flat without supports (can't be changed)

I was quite easily able to get it printed with a layer below of 1mm, but normally I can't accepted a layer below and I need at leat 1cm flat area around the part.
design3b.tif

ethz0019.jpg

Some comments:
- I see sometimes an error on the total thickness (not only this process) of about 0.1mm, I don't know if it the 0 of the z. I tried to calibrate many times the build plates, to shift the part in z by 0.1mm (with that I was able to get a part of the channel but in general I had poor adhesion on the build plate) or just to increase the pieces in z by 0.1mm (most efficient to get high accuracy parts so far for me). So far, none of these solutions had worked.

- As in semiconductor photolithography, I know there can be some change with polymerization due to change of reflectivity, so I tried to add as the 2nd design a thin layer 0.05 to 0.5mm (tried different value) but with the needed surface (see below). I was not able to get the channel, still with high subtrate value. I saw with this design that I had never get the right total thickness value for the channel (the thick part at 0.4mm) it is in general thinner. I then increase the exposure value to 10000ms and then I get the small part of the channel appearing but still the thickness is not right.
design 3e.tif

Maybe I did something wrong with the setup of the solus, maybe it is not feasible... I also feel that the part with the large surface is sticking to the peeling film, explainning eventually the problem of thickness error.

Any others ideas to test or comments?

Sebastien