Consistent speed bump when replacing film

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
Messerbr
Solus Expert
Consistent speed bump when replacing film

Postby Messerbr » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:10 pm

I am curious about other's experience with replacing Film in the VAT. For whatever reason I have trouble getting the film to lay flat on the quartz without any airpockets. I've watched the video countless times and I think I am following it to the letter... but consistently have an issue with getting it to lay flat.(especially with the new video that doesnt use the spacer) Is there anything that you guys have discovered or do that is slightly different than the video to get your film to lay correctly? Attached is a little diagram of the problem I am having.

Thanks,

-Ben
Attachments
Film Questions.tif
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Re: Consistent speed bump when replacing film

Postby mongerdesigns » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:59 pm

If you're getting air pockets then obviously the film is too loose. I'm assuming this is using the method in the video? Most likely when you're tightening the two knobs, you're over-tightening them, and the additional putting on of the little screws stretches the film even more. The key is to barely tighten the two knobs.

Here is an alternative method for tensioning the film.

Remove the old the film and place a new sheet, and then instead of putting the tank on the printer you just tighten the 8 screws (do it like a car tire). You will end up with resin tank with a very tight film.
Then what you do is take a clean microfiber cloth and wrap it around your finger. Using your finger, from underneath the tank, gently stretch the film along the edges. Don't do too much right away.
Put the tank on the printer (without the 2 knobs) and see how it sits. You want about 1mm gap between the bottom for the tank and the metal of the printer (looking from front). If you have more of gap, you stretch the film a tiny bit more until you get there.
Don't do to much because if you overstretch, you can't go back. Once the film is perfect, you're done. When putting on the tank with resin in it, don't overtighten the 2 knobs. Just barely tighten them.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
Messerbr
Solus Expert

Postby Messerbr » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:28 pm

I tried something similar to that alternative method and it seems to work. It would be nice if attaching the VAT and replacing the film didn't rely on a persons perception/feel. I'm trying to eliminate the steps where you have a "just barely" or "tighten until you feel resistance" and have a process that is more robotic and not based on how I perceive it to be. My "just barely" seems to be slightly different than yours. Using the method in the video I tighten the thumb screws down half a turn after it starts into the threads. if I loosen it half a turn then the thumb screws wouldn't engage the threads so, to me, that is "just barely" but my perception is obviously off. Might just be a problem that is addressed in the Solus 2.0 or a redesigned VAT idk

I dread every time I have to replace film because I know its going to be an ordeal, but the quality and awesome capabilities of the Solus still are worth it.

I would still like to hear from other Solus users as to if they have issues like this.
jeweltool
Novice

Postby jeweltool » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:49 pm

If you want more repeatability, upgrade to the aluminum vat option and a watchmaker's torque set for screws.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:27 pm

We do have plans of offering pre-tensioned film, which should make this much easier. However, by following the directions and the video carefully, changing the film is a breeze and it's not complicated at all.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
Messerbr
Solus Expert

Postby Messerbr » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:41 pm

I agree that the directions are not complicated, and I'm sure that for you changing the film is a breeze since you've been doing R&D and working with the Solus for a long time. For people starting out it may not be a breeze and if there is a way to eliminate the possibility of over-tightening a screw or remove the "feeling" aspect of replacing film it would be a huge step up in user experience and a more well rounded design.

Just wanted to voice the issue I have been having from the start and see if others had the same problem. The aluminum resin tank is something I may end up investing in if it does make things more consistent.
Devlin
Novice

Postby Devlin » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:40 pm

I have only replaced the film once, Not sure it really needed replacing at the time. I was having incomplete prints at the time so that was suggested, my main problem was more likely from a windows update that reset the full RGB

My VAT did go on tight, I could barely get the screws to grab the threads. it still worked,It seems better now that it has worn in and stretched itself with use.
Air pockets were not an issue for me.

I did do a dumb thing the other day, the vat seemed loose while running I could see it moving up and down on the cycles, so during the early part of the print I tighten the screws, the print failed, but the next time I printed, the prints came out fine.

it is tricky on just how tight to go, not a big issue. My film does seem to have some small dimples in it, most likely from me removing resin stuck to the film after a cycle.
I do find it best to filter the resin after each print, mostly to make sure I do not have resin stuck to the film.
barth
Novice

Postby barth » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:48 pm

I use the search bar, but I can't find the link for the film replacement. Can someone help me, please?
podivo
Novice

Postby podivo » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:19 pm

barth
Novice

Postby barth » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:30 pm

podivo wrote:https://reify3d.wistia.com/medias/rlt30j3k87

Thanks!!