Need help printing large, bulky models

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
Robert
Novice
Need help printing large, bulky models

Postby Robert » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:17 pm

I have a large, bulky model that I need to print for a client and I am really, really struggling.

Here is the first way I tried. I tried this twice. Once with a few less supports and it just fell off after a few MM into the build. The second time like this, and the bottom 'spike' didn't form, and it budged around a bit towards the top end of the print. I'm also worried it was stretched out of shape, so the other parts which attach to it no longer fit.

ImageImage

I tried this again yesterday and it simply fell off the supports. After this much liquid being thrown in the bin, I'm getting really, really frustrated with the machine. I know the Solus is fantastic, but it's driving me totally nuts! Customer services so far has been *AMAZING* from Jordi in Spain, but I think after 4 misprints of a model this size, I need to call out the big guns! :D

It really boils down to 3 things which I hope you can help with.

1) The model is heavy, so I think it breaks off the support. I've tried it perfectly upright and also at an angle. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice.

2) The supports seem to sometimes snap mid-printing. I wonder if I need a longer exposure time?

3) I've noticed some 'stepping' in the print, I wonder if I need to re-lubricate the Z-Screw?

4) It seems my machine is stretching things in the Z-axis. Circles come out as ovals and multipart kits don't fit comfortably. As this piece is a 'vehicle', its very obvious that multiple parts simply don't fit together. I have played around with my settings, but I can't seem to change that. I wonder if it is because of the angle of the projector, or anything like that?

Cheers!
Rob
Robert
Novice

Re: Need help printing large, bulky models

Postby Robert » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:55 pm

Just struck me, is it worth changing to 25 xy instead of 42 xy? Is it more reliable?

So far, I have only printed on 42 xy. Owned the printer since February. :)
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:49 pm

I would say angled is best if you have a good support strategy. Don't forget to add some internal supports as well if the part is hollow.
Robert
Novice

Postby Robert » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:20 pm

Hey there!

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'm going to try this tomorrow.

Much more angled, less stress on the supports.

Sadly, it's not hollow either! Huge amount of resin, but has to be solid to be easy to make moulds of.
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:55 pm

I noticed the caution sign on Netfab. Did you make repairs to that model before attempting to print it? That caution sign should not be there. Mark
Robert
Novice

Postby Robert » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:28 am

I have run a repair before printing, yes. :D

Any ideas about the stretching?
barth
Novice

Postby barth » Mon May 01, 2017 1:16 pm

I'm not sure the ball tip point work well for big model like that.
Robert
Novice

Postby Robert » Mon May 01, 2017 2:30 pm

Bahhhh it didn't work! 4th printing now...

It's an almost perfect print, but there are 'jump' marks and the tip of the 'axe' on the front has not formed. I've tried lubricating the Z-screw. I can see a lot of the supports are not forming fully.

Should I be using a longer exposure, or something? I've wasted soooo much material on these models now. :(
Robert
Novice

Postby Robert » Mon May 01, 2017 2:53 pm

Also noticed the axe head at the front is warped slightly. I'm really struggling with this. :(
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Mon May 01, 2017 3:52 pm

You don't have enough supports on that model. Especially under the head.

The lines you're getting is from large unsupported chunks of the model moving because of the weight and the vacuum forces. Also, don't use the ball supports for such a large model.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/