Z-Axis Squashed build

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
Robert
Novice
Z-Axis Squashed build

Postby Robert » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:36 pm

Hey guys,

I recently had some issues with models of a certain height not being able to be completed. The last 1cm or so of the model was squashed into a few layers. The rest was really odd. I can't add photographs, as they are for licensed products which have not been released yet and I don't want to get sued by my client! However, Jordi has seen these and said he's sent them to Mark for feedback.

However, my issue appears to have gotten worse. I tried some very small parts, which are usually totally fine. It would seem they are not! They have been squashed much shorter than they should be. I have no idea why!

Any advice?
ImageImageImage

Any advice on what to do would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers
Rob
Robert
Novice

Re: Z-Axis Squashed build

Postby Robert » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:38 pm

Here is how they should look.

Hope it's clear enough...
Robert
Novice

Postby Robert » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:49 pm

I've just oiled the Z-Screw and I'm trying again. It's a 1:47 hour print, so not too long to test :)
It looks like lots of black 'goo' has come out of the bottom of the plate that connects to the Z-Screw. I wonder if it was just not lubricated enough?
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:20 pm

Hi,

When you push +10mm on the setup page does the arm move up 10mm?

Have you tried another computer?
Robert
Novice

Postby Robert » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:10 pm

I'll give that a go on Thursday. It's really odd, never happened before but started happening past week or so and has gotten this bad yesterday.

I'm not in tomorrow, but I'm due to meet with Jordi on Thursday morning over Skype.

I did push it in the setup page but didn't measure the movement. It seemed to move correctly. I'll measure it next time.

I can also try another computer but that is a pain if I can't use the computer I specifically bought to run the machine with it. Especially when it's worked perfectly since I got it in February.

Cheers for the tips, I'll keep you in the loop.

Oh one more side note, sometimes the machine makes a digital grinding sound when it reaches the bottom of the build to start printing. I wonder if that is another symptom you have seen before?

Only time I've seen this is with the Projet 1200. I emailed you about it in December after they sent me 4 (yes 4) replacements in a row so I was looking for an alternative. Very worried about this now as my business relies on it. :(
Devlin
Novice

Postby Devlin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:46 pm

Sometimes a windows update will change the display settings.
The result is in complete prints.
Just a thought!
Robert
Novice

Postby Robert » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:18 am

Hey there,

Okay - that might be a reasonable excuse! :)

Cheers
Rob
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:36 am

Hi,

Did you test if the arm is going up 10mm?
Robert
Novice

Postby Robert » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:02 pm

Yeah, it worked.

Jordi found a setting that was on for some reason... I have no idea what it was, but it was interfering with the machine. I'd have to ask him for advice with regards to that.

My only issue now is that the printer doesn't automatically shut down the projector after finishing the job anymore. I need some kind of driver update I think.

I really am a luddite with computers. :)