Mis prints

This section is for specific instructions for daily operations of the Solus printer and for troubleshooting. User submitted tips, etc. should go in the "Tips and Tutorials" section.
EddyF
Novice
Re: Mis prints

Postby EddyF » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:35 pm

Just for fun try move to different location or print in Z
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:47 pm

Not that I can see. being a textured band I could see the outside of band failing, but not the inside. It's smooth. I might not had the supports at the edge. but the bottom did start printing fine.

Just printed another one. Same thing at same spot. I ran it through Netfab. I will send you the file.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:15 pm

Eddy

I was think the same thing. I cleaned my vat and put in on the printer. I see that there is a slight bubbling in an area where it failed. guessing from getting failed parts off of film. My fails seem to stick really good to the film. Will try again.

This second print did better but still failed in same area.

Attachments
fail1116.jpg
EddyF
Novice

Postby EddyF » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:52 pm

That is what work for me, is not printing on the area of the film. Yes I had a real problem with it sticking.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:09 am

Your supports are wrong. You are supposed to have small bases below each support. Around 4mm in diameter min and about 0.3mm thin. Or else the supports can actually pull up on the film and create small bumps. That will degrade the film and cause the failures you are seeing.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:32 am

So your supports should look like a Tee-pee? The supports on this ring were all the same. I put the ring at an angle from suggestions of others. I thought it did print better thank flat on grid.
Biceps
Novice

Postby Biceps » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:06 am

Did a change in supports solve your problem, Jewelermdt?
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:44 am

I was so busy in December I hardly printed anything. Just did not have the time for fails so I milled everything. I did one print this week just to test some things. It came out great. One thing I figured out is that I was tightening down the Vat too much. It does not allow the tilt function to work properly. Will be trying a ring this weekend to see how that goes.
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:49 pm

Jewelermdt wrote:I was so busy in December I hardly printed anything. Just did not have the time for fails so I milled everything. I did one print this week just to test some things. It came out great. One thing I figured out is that I was tightening down the Vat too much. It does not allow the tilt function to work properly. Will be trying a ring this weekend to see how that goes.

Did you install the film yourself or was it factory installed?

If you haven't read it already I strongly recommend this post from Mark, it has some very useful advice about avoiding fails:

http://reify-3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&p=907#p907
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:15 am

New film I installed. The print last week came out great.
Today I tried to print a ring and failed.

How long can you keep resin in the vat?? Not sure reason for fail. Stored my vat with resin in a ploy-bag with a piece of cardboard on top, in a drawer. Vat stuck to table like it had glue. Picked it up and there was a heavy residue on table and bottom of vat. Cleaned off both with pec-pads, alcohol. No matter how many pads I use, I can't get all the residue off. Leaves a smeared look.

When I tried to print, it printed the whole grid as a ground plane. Then tried to print ring after that. Which did not stick to previous bottom layer. Is there a reason why this would happen??

Will start from scratch tomorrow and see what happens. Checked model in Net-fab.