Bionic Solus Upgrade

General topics about 3d printing.
toddmichael
Novice
Bionic Solus Upgrade

Postby toddmichael » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:18 pm

Mark;

How much VC would it take to make these changes to the current Solus?

1. make the printer on a larger chassis to include the projector internally?

2. Change the vat system from the tilt quartz to a fixed glass vat.

3. make changes to the software to go between the 25 and 42 microns, instead of moving an external projector.

4. any guesstimation of new list price?
Toddmichael
Firestorm Cad / Jeweler / Designer
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Re: Bionic Solus Upgrade

Postby mongerdesigns » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:07 pm

What's your budget?
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Postby Wdshea » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:07 pm

I'm wondering what the benefit would be of not having the tilt mechanism...

You should rephrase the question... "What would it cost to design a totally different machine?"
KBS756
Novice

Postby KBS756 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:32 am

toddmichael wrote:Mark;

3. make changes to the software to go between the 25 and 42 microns, instead of moving an external projector.

Wondering why you'd need 1 and 2 ?

Hope I'm not hijacking your thread now

I've been hoping for some improvements for the Solus for hopefully a Next Gen Machine

1. Improved Software - CW's slicing is nice but I feel there are a lot of improvements in terms of the speed in which models are moved on the build table as well as the interactivity rather than pressing buttons and waiting for a move

2. Slide Mechanism 25 microns to 42 microns ... would like it to attach w/ screws to the Projector and Solus rather than trying to place those pegs... which sometimes can be annoying ... And then a slide between settings preset.

3. Automated Shutter ... Since the projector takes a bit before it sets itself to print ... I would like it if somehow the shutter that we use the orange piece for now was an automated open close shutter

4. And an option to get one with a Lens Modification for No Distortion at 25 microns
robin
Solus Expert

Postby robin » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:38 pm

I always end up misaligning the projector when I have to clean the dust from underneath it. It would be nice to have a single unit to pick up and not worry about any alignment issues.
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:57 am

KBS756 wrote:

2. Slide Mechanism 25 microns to 42 microns ... would like it to attach w/ screws to the Projector and Solus rather than trying to place those pegs... which sometimes can be annoying ... And then a slide between settings preset.

If you move the projector and not the printer it should be easy to change positions. But please wait until the projector has completely cooled to maximize bulb life.
reify
Site Admin

Postby reify » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:01 am

toddmichael wrote:Mark;

Hi,

1. The external projector has some big advantages...it maximizes ventilation, keeps the projector horizontal as it was designed to be run and won't fill up with resin if there's a leak.

2. The tilt quartz is the key to our surface quality and ability to print such fine details. I have tested many, many methods and one of my first goals was to eliminate the need for PDMS while having a gentle release. There are other methods using non-stick film, but most suffer from sagging (can't offer the same layer precision) and much higher separation forces.

3. This would be nice but would obviously add a lot to the cost as we'd still need to move the projector somehow.
KBS756
Novice

Postby KBS756 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:06 pm

reify wrote:
KBS756 wrote:

If you move the projector and not the printer it should be easy to change positions. But please wait until the projector has completely cooled to maximize bulb life.

I still have problems with the consistency of these lining up meaning sometimes even if the pegs are in I'll have to nudge it around to make sure the printer is pointing squarely at the build area ... Would be nice if we could have it still horizontal but on a platform that assures its pointing where it should be and could latch on to the right setting with a simple slide
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Postby Wdshea » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:41 pm

the pegs are trapezoidal, bend the alignment bracket slightly up, and it will seat the pegs.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:43 pm

You should also be able to remove the pegs and just use them as screws to attach the mount to the printer.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/