better way to print a model

General topics about 3d printing.
Joseph
Novice
better way to print a model

Postby Joseph » Thu May 17, 2018 3:26 pm

Not many places to learn how the best way to support a model or the best way to lay it out to get the best print. Do any have any input when looking at a model the best way to lay it out. Ex, a ring (signet) stand it up right or turn it to the side so all of the resign does not collect at the top when its printed. I tried turning the ring almost at a 70 degree and it comes out crocked. I don't like the idea of all of the resign getting stuck at the top of a flat object when it prints so I'm looking for a new way.

Another ex, a disc or coin one sided, Do you stand it up right or lay it flat. I've tried both. Laying it flat how big do the supports need to be and how far apart do they need to be to keep the item flat and not wavy. Standing it up right just takes longer to print. Just trying to learn and I'm just stagnant right now and want to learn.

Joseph
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Re: better way to print a model

Postby Jewelermdt » Fri May 18, 2018 3:16 am

Are you using Coutour? Use the auto supports if you are. I have not done to many heavy rings. I tilt them 15 to 20 degrees. And always support the top part of the ring. I will also switch to manual and add some to the edge of the ring.
Flat stuff with nothing on back side, I just make sure it flat on the build table and print. No supports. If you have design on both sides, put the side with the least amount of design facing down and angle it 20 to 30%.
Devlin
Novice

Postby Devlin » Fri May 18, 2018 6:09 pm

Joseph,
Is your question more about the hollow space inside of a signet shape ring?
If so,
I have had this problem as well, I have also asked the similar question without much response.
The best solution I have found is to put a temporary hole that can be easily filled after curing. Some designs do trap the resin in a pocket. Semi cured resin can be hard to get out.
it does help to tip the ring for best drainage of the resin.
ratatui

Postby ratatui » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:53 pm

I have also had problems with 3d printing with jewelry, and the solution has been to create small holes that I can then fill.