Back using my solus after more than a year

General topics about 3d printing.
englishcadmaster
Novice
Back using my solus after more than a year

Postby englishcadmaster » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:45 pm

I did upgrade the tilt motor while ago , I got the aluminum bath and the contour software. I was using the proto resin and have just done so again results are good for mold making. I need to now use a castable resin......... the ccw resin looks to have
good results so need to order that but I am the uk so need to order via email you think?

Anyway there used to be all kinds of ways of curing the resin after printing I bought a nail bar light box..... Is that still I good way to cure or is there a micro wave way or something now please?

Anyone else using the ccw resin please advise if its the best one on here for casting? Believe the blue castable is prone to marking a little? Need prints to be like super sharp.

I guess I ve had the contour software for a while so need to then update it? Will it have the ccw resin profile on it at all?

Weirdly I did have all kinds of mixed results with my solus but one time I forgot to put the bolts in to hold the bath and print came out totally perfect so now I put bolts in and have them super loose and all prints well now.

So basically did I miss anything whilst away from here.... is there chat of a new solus printer model?

thanks,

robin
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Re: Back using my solus after more than a year

Postby Jewelermdt » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:55 am

I have had good results whit the Solus Wax Cast resin. Best results if I cure it 45 min to 1 hour. Using Prestige Optima investment. There is a distributor over there I believe. Jordi
Cundiff

Postby Cundiff » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:30 pm

Jewelermdt wrote:I have had good results with these sausage stuffers and the Solus Wax Cast resin. Best results if I cure it 45 min to 1 hour. Using Prestige Optima investment. There is a distributor over there I believe. Jordi

Is 45 min to an hour better than what you can get with alternative solutions in the same price range?
Last edited by Cundiff on Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:27 am

What are you asking? For the price the Solus is a great printer. Maybe a little time to dial it in, but I think most printers in this range need a little adjusting. But Mainly due to the resins used. Like most resins the better the cure, better the casting is. I have had good casting with less cure time of the Solus Cast. The nice thing with Solus is it's ability to use many of the resins on the market. And the help from the staff is fantastic.
sochin
Novice

Postby sochin » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:25 pm

Cundiff wrote:Is 45 min to an hour better than what you can get with alternative solutions in the same price range?

AFAIK time of build depends on the build height, resin and resolution and probably other things I have missed.

My first printer was an Asiga Pico. It cost a little under double what the Solus cost me.

The Solus prints in a little over half the time of the Asiga Pico 1 (Pico 2/called the Max Mini now.... might be faster) using the same resin and model height and the quality is better even using the larger build plate area on the Solus and thicker layers.

The way the SOLUS separates from the build plate is what makes it special. The Asiga slider method is not as good IMO.

If I use the smaller build area on the Solus (48x27)....which is about the same size as my Pico was (40x30).....the build times are less than half IIRC. I only printed on the small build area setup for a short period. Once I used that larger build area (80x45) on the Solus I never went back.

I think also from memory you could expand the build area on the Pico 1 with a firmware update for about $1500 Australian back in 2013 but that would have even then taken it to well over double the price of the Solus today. Might be wrong but that is what I recall and at the time thought that Asiga price to expand the build area was a bit of a rip off.

I am well into my second year of using the Solus. It has not missed a beat and if and when it does I will either fix or replace the failed component. With an all in one unit like the Asiga`s that is not as easy to do. The cost to fix my Asiga Pico after about 4 years of use when it failed was not cost effective despite it being a more expensive machine.

If you already have a good understanding of how printing works you will love the Solus IMO.

cheers,
Sochin.
lklutts
Solus Expert

Postby lklutts » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:22 am

You need to try the easy cast from solus. Prints great, casts very well.