artcam jewelsmith

General topics about 3d printing.
artcad
Novice
artcam jewelsmith

Postby artcad » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:12 pm

Hi,I do my cad drawings in artcam jewel smith and I know that in this software the objects are not that smooth as in rhyno and matrix.
I do my stl repairs in magics from envisiontec and I know it needs a lot of repairing(few minutes),I don't have received the Solus yet and never tried
nettfab but does somebody have experience with this?Thanks
Berc
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Re: artcam jewelsmith

Postby mongerdesigns » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:29 am

People always send me artcam meshes, and for some reason they always look like someone made them using a hacksaw. Doesn't look too good. I'm sure there should be a setting for making nice meshes on export.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
artcad
Novice

Postby artcad » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:40 pm

I think that Artcam is a cad software specially for cnc milling,so it does not matter that the stl does not look smooth and yes there are ways to build
your model smoother but why should you,milling a model is different than growing one.
I agree when they send you a file where the model looks like its made with a hacksaw and you have to grow it well what you see is what you get ,right?
Berc
krist hochburger
Novice

Postby krist hochburger » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:05 pm

Hi berc,

I use artcam too. I've never used netfab but I was told that 3D coat is the best program to clean up artcam stl's and repair.

I've gotten the best results by exporting out of artcam as a .obj (you have to hide your stones or they will be exported as a metal), into 3D coat which coverts the mesh to 'voxels' , do a few smoothing passes then back out as a .stl. This works quite well.

You are gonna love your solus! I'm excited for you.
artcad
Novice

Postby artcad » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:08 pm

Hi Krist
We were both on the ac forum(lot of things changed there,to bad) anyway nice to find a ac body here.Still love the ac software no matter what.
But thanks for your reply I will try your advice I downloaded nettfab and it looks fine too but if you say 3d coat works good on artcam I wil give it a try.
So you are happy with the Solus thats good to hear do you use your cnc machine still,I am just curious,
Berc
krist hochburger
Novice

Postby krist hochburger » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:38 pm

Yeah, I could not be more disappointed with the transition to autodesk. The forum sucks, the cost is ridiculous, they dropped keyshot... I'm on 2015 r2 , there is nothing that I can't do with it (especially when coupled with 3D coat). I really love it, but am working on learning rhino. Gotta think of the long game.

After 2 months of owning a solus, I have started to use my mill again, mostly for rotary rings that I cut from tube.

It took me a while to realize that this is just another tool. It's great for most things but not everything.
dcpattni
Novice

Postby dcpattni » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:47 pm

krist hochburger wrote:Yeah, I could not be more disappointed with the transition to autodesk. The forum sucks, the cost is ridiculous, they dropped keyshot... I'm on 2015 r2 , there is nothing that I can't do with it (especially when coupled with 3D coat). I really love it, but am working on learning rhino. Gotta think of the long game.

After 2 months of owning a solus, I have started to use my mill again, mostly for rotary rings that I cut from tube.

It took me a while to realize that this is just another tool. It's great for most things but not everything.

Hello,

May i know why not for everything can you explain?
krist hochburger
Novice

Postby krist hochburger » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:30 pm

dcpattni wrote:
krist hochburger wrote:Yeah, I could not be more disappointed with the transition to autodesk. The forum sucks, the cost is ridiculous, they dropped keyshot... I'm on 2015 r2 , there is nothing that I can't do with it (especially when coupled with 3D coat). I really love it, but am working on learning rhino. Gotta think of the long game.

Hello,

May i know why not for everything can you explain?

I make these particular wedding bands that have relief all the way around the outside that also has cutouts as well. In order to print it successfully you have to spend a lot of time placing your supports in the perfect place, also a lot of clean up time when the ring is cast to remove the places where supports had to be. It's not that it can't be done, it just seems quicker to mill the ring from a tube... Full disclosure, I've only had my solus for 4 months so maybe my knowledge of supports will grow and my opinion will change.

I use the solus over 95% of the time though.
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:33 am

I use Artcam qunite a bit in conjunction with Rhino. I like the textures in Artcam. The piece I just printed is a Artcam / Rhino combination.

artcad
Novice

Postby artcad » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:57 pm

I think this piece is very easy to make in Artcam dont understand why you should use Rhyno,Artcam is the best software for flat parts,I think you could build up this piece just using the shape editor only anyway thats how I would do it with all respect for Rhyno users.Btw the toolpath for this part is very easy and to mill this would be very fast but then again I dont know how big it is.