B9 Printing woos

General topics about 3d printing.
drewbacca
Novice
B9 Printing woos

Postby drewbacca » Tue May 30, 2017 9:37 am

Heya Solus community,

I was getting fails with prints similar to this http://reify-3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=829&p=6624&hilit=some+supports+not+growing#p6624

The picture I attached is two rings printed on the same platform with B9 Yellow. The VAT was filled with fresh resin out of the bottle.

1. Why would it not grow correctly three quarters the way up when it is just going vertical?

2. The base support is missing one vertical cylinder on both models

3. Why would one succeed and one fail?
Attachments
20170530_104426.jpg
samatheang
Solus Expert

Re: B9 Printing woos

Postby samatheang » Tue May 30, 2017 8:49 pm

Those supports at the bottom are not enough. You should use the Ring Support in contour instead. Also, add more supports to the place when it start to failed.
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Tue May 30, 2017 9:31 pm

Never liked the Yellow on the Solus. for Us, Cherry is the best so far. Just shake well.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Tue May 30, 2017 9:57 pm

Film tension? Might have a ripple/stretched spot. Floating piece of resin blocking light. Supports.
nzfinescale
Novice

Postby nzfinescale » Wed May 31, 2017 1:02 am

One thing I worked out early on is that supports serve two purposes:

1. To prevent 'islands' during growth - ie a logical function to allow all parts of the model to be attached to the build plate.
2. Mechanical support. To resist the forces imposed on the model during peeling.

It is not uncommon to have a model that prints OK, but is distorted because it has moved during the print process - or at worst has broken.

It is generally a bad idea to grow a relatively massive part on small supports as there will be flexing during growth that leads to problems. On the other hand better stability might be achieved by a number of small supports rather than a single large one.

The solution tends to be subjective. If you want good results every time, be conservative with supports. If you want minimal support be prepared for failures. Boosting exposure can help (presumably by increasing polymerisation and thus strength within the part). Excessive exposure tends to reduce detail levels though, if you have fine textures.

I've learnt that a 'good' result involves balancing the various variables to suit the desired outcome and the properties of the model being printed. This is especially true if you are trying to push the envelope. If you establish some guidelines for your application and stick to them, problems should be infrequent.

:-)

Lawrence
drewbacca
Novice

Postby drewbacca » Wed May 31, 2017 6:18 am

Film tension was set from Solus themselves as I just switched to the aluminum VAT.

There are no floating pieces in resin whatsoever since it was fresh resin.

That support area on the bottom failed while going straight up.....

I repeated the job with no changes except moving it on the platform and it came out good, it has however been hit or miss. I would need to build two of the same item to ensure one would come out usable.
drewbacca
Novice

Postby drewbacca » Wed May 31, 2017 6:21 am

samatheang wrote:Those supports at the bottom are not enough. You should use the Ring Support in contour instead. Also, add more supports to the place when it start to failed.

you don't need supports to build straight vertical, and I am not trying to be mean or anything when I say it is definitely something other than "lack of supports" causing this. B9 yellow at $200 a pop makes me inclined to believe it is good, but I was having the same problem with the Emerald. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

File attached is my latest print with another VAT of new resin and custom supports going from 0.4 from base to 0.3 at the ring. Failed in two spots.
Attachments
20170601_160305.jpg
robin
Solus Expert

Postby robin » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:55 pm

I have the same problem with B9Y, it's a PITA to use. Since it's extremely sticky, there's little room for error so a tiny imperfection in the film tension or support placement (whether for overhangs or for mechanical strength) will result in a fail. The castings come out perfect in Gold & Platinum so I have to use it for now but I definitely won't be buying another bottle of it.