Minimum Step Size (resolution) of Lead Screw

Topics about Solus 3d Printer's hardware
alexh123
Minimum Step Size (resolution) of Lead Screw

Postby alexh123 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:59 am

Does any one know the minimum travel the lead screw z axis is capable of? A way to make super smooth surfaces.

Along the same lines one can do a solvent polish as a post processing step.

Thanks
Alex
reify
Site Admin

Re: Minimum Step Size (resolution) of Lead Screw

Postby reify » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:18 am

Theoretically, if we adjust the firmware and the switches on the PCB it's capable of 0.3 micron steps. But obviously no resin could handle this resolution and a print would take days.

Currently, we have it set up for 5 microns min Z. Some people print the SolusProto resin at 10 Z for a super smooth surface but we haven't tested any lower than this. Not sure it's necessary...this was printed at 25 Z:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=94&start=80#p3039

This was done at 10 Z:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=286&start=10#p3233
Jack_Row
Novice

Postby Jack_Row » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:49 am

If reducing the z to <25 but >10 for the Proto resin, do any other settings in Contour need adjusting other than Z distance?
alexh123

Postby alexh123 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:04 am

I have an SEM and the quality between 5 10 and 25 micron slices is very noticeable.

This is without changing the exposure time.

So is there any way for me to lower it down to 1 micron slices?

Do you know any solvents that can do good polishing of a surface with either bath or vapor polishing? I've tried acetone, ethanol, dynasolve 699. The dynasolve is probably the strongest of those three on acrylics. Sorry this question is off topic?

Thanks for the info! :D
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:39 pm

I haven't found a solvent for cured methacrylate resin that works the same way acetone 'melts' the surface of ABS.

I think you are left to using physical methods (sanding, polishing, etc.) to remove layer lines or other defects.
alexh123

Postby alexh123 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:02 pm

reify wrote:Theoretically, if we adjust the firmware and the switches on the PCB it's capable of 0.3 micron steps. But obviously no resin could handle this resolution and a print would take days.

Currently, we have it set up for 5 microns min Z. Some people print the SolusProto resin at 10 Z for a super smooth surface but we haven't tested any lower than this. Not sure it's necessary...this was printed at 25 Z:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=94&start=80#p3039

This was done at 10 Z:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=286&start=10#p3233

How would I modify the system to print below 5 micron step sizes? I would like to print at 1 micron.
CADjewelrySchool
Novice

Postby CADjewelrySchool » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:38 am

Whilst I believe the motors can be set to move in less than 10 micron slices, I am not aware of any resins that are designed to print at under 10 microns.
What resin are you intending to print with?
Are you printing for casting?

alexh123 wrote:How would I modify the system to print below 5 micron step sizes? I would like to print at 1 micron.
alexh123

Postby alexh123 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:48 am

CADjewelrySchool wrote:Whilst I believe the motors can be set to move in less than 10 micron slices, I am not aware of any resins that are designed to print at under 10 microns.
What resin are you intending to print with?
Are you printing for casting?

alexh123 wrote:How would I modify the system to print below 5 micron step sizes? I would like to print at 1 micron.

The resins I have are Vorex Orange, B9 Cherry and Red, Maker Juice G+ and SF (I mix my own pigment), and the SolusProto.

I've gotten good results with the Makerjuice and Solus proto. One thing i make are just 2 mm diameter spheres. Under scanning electron microscope, the surfaces are much smoother at 5 micron slices rather than 25 micron. I do believe the most advanced systems will integrate high resolution along the Z-axis for ultra smooth parts.

I can just mix my own "resin". The recipe would have an acrylate monomer, photo initiator, inhibitor (XY confinement), and dye (Z confinement)

For this to work though I need to match the wavelength of the projected image with the absorbance of the photoinitiator and dye. The projector lamp needs to be replaced with a UV light source around 300 to 400 nm.

I am not printing for casting. I just need extremely high resolution shapes.