Inexpensive UV Curing Chamber

Topics about Solus 3d Printer's hardware
Storen
Novice
Inexpensive UV Curing Chamber

Postby Storen » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:49 pm

I would like to get an UV curing chamber with my first printer. I found ASIGA and B9 have models for about $500.
Is there another descent but less expensive option? It doesn’t have to big nor powerful (fast).
Devlin
Novice

Re: Inexpensive UV Curing Chamber

Postby Devlin » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:55 pm

Many of us started with UV nail curing stations, very cheap. it just takes longer.
robin
Solus Expert

Postby robin » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:56 pm

I own a B9 Cure machine and I love it. Others have been using this with great success https://www.amazon.com/MelodySusie-Pro6 ... %2Buv&th=1
Storen
Novice

Postby Storen » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:40 pm

@ Robin and Devlin: Awesome, thank you much!

Ho do you determine the right UV curing time for different prints? Can you tell by the look of the print?
Devlin
Novice

Postby Devlin » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:47 am

When fully cured the prints become hard,and no longer tacky. You can saw and file of the base supports with caution,avoid the dust.

2-4 hours with nail curing unit verses 3-9 iminutes in the b9 unit. Many also microwave medium power for 5-10 minutes in water in a microwave, it helps
robin
Solus Expert

Postby robin » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi Storin,

Exactly what Devlin said, you can tell from the outer surface by how tacky it is. For B9 resins, usually when the outside isn't tacky then it's fully cured. Thicker pieces like men's bands etc. will require more time and judging by the outer surface alone will get you in trouble (for all resins). Even though MJ WaxCast takes more time to cure, it's easier to tell as when it's placed under the UV light, any uncured area will show up as a darker color than the rest.

Some Observations
When cured B9 Yellow changes color from very light yellow to a solid (darker) yellow.
When cured MJ WaxCast goes from a rich orange to a pale light orange color.
B9 resins (Cherry, Emerald, Yellow) intensify in color when cured and surface feels like plastic (shouldn't be tacky and is best to cure in UV light submerged in water)
MJWC has a wax feel to it when it's fully cured under UV light and cannot be submerged in water as it has water soluble stuff in it.

You'll notice a white film in the detail areas on the models when cured. It's got something to do with the iso. alcohol reacting with the resin. I've read that after cleaning in alcohol that you should let it dry well before curing. The white stuff has no effect on the casting process so it's only a visual nuisance.

HTH,
Robin
Kevin
Novice

Postby Kevin » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:28 pm

Devlin wrote:2-4 hours with nail curing unit

curing your models in a cup of water with the nail curing unit decreases cure time considerably
printcast
Solus Expert

Postby printcast » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:34 pm

My green prints go from build table, rinse in tap water, ultrasonic in tape water, Nail UV box for 30mins (to an hour depending on how tied up I am with other things) in tap water. Perfect every time.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:06 am

Gotta get myself some "tape water". ;)
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
printcast
Solus Expert

Postby printcast » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:50 pm

I can sell you some, but it's not cheap. I ship it dehydrated to save on shipping cost. All you do is add water right out of your faucet. Instructions - Add water an mix vigorously for 5mins.