Contour upgrade ideas

3DRDesign
Contour upgrade ideas

Postby 3DRDesign » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:15 pm

I've been using several slicers for the past 3 years and here are some ideas that could be added to contour to improve it. (It's just my opinion)

- Adding a New Scene option in the File Menu instead of having to delete models or reopening contour.
- Being able to select multiple files when choosing to Open a file. I know you can do this with drag and drop but integrating this in the open file menu would be good as well.
- Being able to change the height of parts one by one instead of having to deal with all part at 0 or 4+mm. Also having the option to put it at 2-3mm from platform would be nice.
- More customization for supports especially for diameters. Sometimes for thick and heavy piece being able to make a single support with a tip bigger than 1mm can be useful.
- Being able to customize or resize the RING support in width. It's not practical to have that huge 10-15mm wide support for a euro shank ring.
- Having an auto-arrange part functions with options that have some customization available like spacing in between parts.
- Being able to export STL/SOLUS file with a single part and its supports. It would allow to prepare files to print later.

Having the option to buy additional licenses past the 2 offered. Could be full price for 2 licenses or just sell one at a time? A 3D printing studio may have only one SOLUS printing all day with 2-3 different people working on CADs for it. Having each a license of Contour on their computer would make workflow better.

I may add some in the future but, overall, I'm very satisfied with the software.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Re: Contour upgrade ideas

Postby mongerdesigns » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:09 pm

Good ideas. We'll add some of them to the list.

Regarding the following:

- Adding a New Scene option in the File Menu instead of having to delete models or reopening contour.
By opening a new scene, the old one gets deleted, so not sure how this one helps. You can also do Delete All under EDIT, which will do the same as New Scene.

- Being able to change the height of parts one by one instead of having to deal with all part at 0 or 4+mm. Also having the option to put it at 2-3mm from platform would be nice.
To do this, click on supports, and right click on the model and uncheck 'Generate Supports'. Now you can move them as high or as low as you want. However you won't be able to use Auto Supports. For auto supports to work properly, we need the 4mm lift.

- More customization for supports especially for diameters. Sometimes for thick and heavy piece being able to make a single support with a tip bigger than 1mm can be useful.
Again, it's already there, under manual supports options. You can do various sizes, and thicknesses. To change the actual thickness of the supports, you will need to hop back into the auto supports tab, change the thickness and then go to the manual tab and place the support.

- Having an auto-arrange part functions with options that have some customization available like spacing in between parts.
Not possible at the moment because of our advanced auto supports algorithms, but it's on the list of things to do.

- Being able to export STL/SOLUS file with a single part and its supports. It would allow to prepare files to print later.
You can already save the SCENE. That saves the model and supports so you can open it later. You can later merge scenes together and rearrange, then click on re-generate supports.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:55 pm

Emil It would be nice to be able to vary the exposure time for certain layers before a build starts. Example being a heavy topped mans ring. The standard exposure might be great for the base and shank but might not work as well on the last 1/3rd of the build where the ring/build is much heavier. Just a thought. Mark
skulptor_geist

Postby skulptor_geist » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:23 pm

It would also be nice to have a "Light Intensity" slider included every time a person creates a "New" resin profile.

Currently, in order to use the slider for a third party resin, I have to make alterations to one of the existing Solus Resin profiles where the "Light Intensity" slider exists and write down the new settings for future use. When I am ready to return to printing with the Solus resin whose profile I altered, I have to "Reset" the profile before using the Solus Resin. Lastly, when returning to the third party resin after the reset to the default Solus Resin profile, I have to manually input the hand recorded settings into the existing Solus Resin profile.

Is there a way to clone or create a copy of a complete Resin Profile which includes the "Light Intensity" slider and then give it a new profile name?
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:54 am

Edit, view profiles folder, copy / paste any of the profiles with the light intensity slider, rename it, then can select and edit it in Contour.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
skulptor_geist

Postby skulptor_geist » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:26 am

mongerdesigns wrote:Edit, view profiles folder, copy / paste any of the profiles with the light intensity slider, rename it, then can select and edit it in Contour.

Thank you! :D