Contour Feature Requests

Skers
Novice
Contour Feature Requests

Postby Skers » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:25 pm

I'm not sure if this is the best place to make feature requests and leave feedback (maybe a single pinned topic to keep user requests?) but I had a couple of things I'd like added to the list of contour updates.
1. Allow lower user set point of model lift height. Why not have ability to set at 1, 2, or 3?
2. It would also be nice to start different parts on the same plate at different support heights and to take it one step further - be able to do separate 'auto supports' for separate parts (one part might need a certain support type/quantity while another part needs something else... maybe there is a workaround for this with 'merge scenes'? But would still be nice to do in a single setup if possible... maybe it's too cpu intensive?)
3. And most importantly: Allow full control of layer-by-layer settings. Right now there is only initial and all the others. It would be awesome to print certain layers at one thickness/exposure and other layers with different settings. This would really help fine tune prints for the ultra-high resolution applications where varying features are only possible with certain settings... for example really thin walls require a certain exposure time while really thin channels require something different. This would be very similar to popular FDM software where you can (if you choose) use different settings for every layer.
barth
Novice

Re: Contour Feature Requests

Postby barth » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:50 am

Which wall thickness are you talking about?
Skers
Novice

Postby Skers » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:46 am

barth wrote:Which wall thickness are you talking about?

Sorry I should have clarified, basically I mean minimum feature thickness (not exterior walls of a hollowed part). For example raised letters on a surface vs engraved letters into a surface. When you get to the 0.1mm and thinner walls (or channels) of these features very small differences in exposure make the difference of over or under exposure. And if you have both raised features and engraved features in these sizes on the same part the only way I can think to handle it would be to adjust exposure times throughout the print. Also, if the base of the print is bulky and not detailed i dont know if its ideal to print at the minimum exposure times that are necessary for those thin features.
robin
Solus Expert

Postby robin » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:35 pm

I know you can have a certain model not automatically supported by right clicking on it and there's an option that pops up (forgot what it says exactly).
ZachJ
Novice

Postby ZachJ » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:49 pm

Id really like to second the model lift height, having a 2or 3 option would be really helpful. It just saves a lot of time, especially when youre trying to get a lot of prints throughout the day.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:38 pm

We are working on that feature, however currently there are many factors that prevent the auto supports to work well if the lift is less than 4mm.

Having said that, there is a workaround if you want to do that with Manual Supports.

1. Open the model and position it on the build plate.
2. Click on the SUPPORTS icon.
3. Right-click on the model and uncheck the box "Generate Supports"
4. Click on the Move icon.
5. Move the model up as much as you need. Ex. 2mm.
6. Click on the Manual Supports tab and start adding supports.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
Skers
Novice

Postby Skers » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:53 pm

Thanks for the info. I did find out that the workaround for #2 is to use merge scenes. Both this and the one you suggested will work for now though they are time consuming and hopefully will be features in the future. #3 is still most important for me... I realize this is a fairly major update and would take some time but full control over a build would be awesome (almost necessary for some of the stuff i'm making)! I could see jewelers benefiting as well... i.e. the band of a ring could be 30um or larger at a certain exposure and fine features/engravings at the top could be 15um with shorter exposures, greatly reducing time while increasing quality where it matters. All that being said I've still been quite happy with the solus. :)
Jules
Novice

Postby Jules » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:38 pm

Not sure if this is possible, but I would like to see a bottom optional Layer Thickness of 100 microns for the first 4mm or so. Until your project starts!

I'm printing couple rings right now and it took 35mins of printing before It even started printing the bottom of the shank. Would be really cool if we could speed this up!

unless its easiest to do just a 2 or 3 stage variable layer option for the whole build. Example the first 65% would print at 70um then the last 35% print at 25um layer thickness

maybe its not possible to change layer thickness once the printer has started.
Skers
Novice

Postby Skers » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:46 pm

Jules wrote:Not sure if this is possible, but I would like to see a bottom optional Layer Thickness of 100 microns for the first 4mm or so. Until your project starts!

I'm printing couple rings right now and it took 35mins of printing before It even started printing the bottom of the shank. Would be really cool if we could speed this up!

unless its easiest to do just a 2 or 3 stage variable layer option for the whole build. Example the first 65% would print at 70um then the last 35% print at 25um layer thickness

maybe its not possible to change layer thickness once the printer has started.

Agreed, this is a similar idea to my original post item #3. FDM printers/software allow this capability so it seems like it should be fairly doable... and yes it would save a lot of time on the unimportant parts, like support structures underneath a print.
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:57 pm

Thanks guys for the suggestions. A lot of these are already on the to-do list.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/