Support Thickness

rcdesign
Novice
Support Thickness

Postby rcdesign » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:55 pm

For the most part my models have been fine with 1mm supports. When is it appropriate to use 1.5 and 2mm supports?
What are the variables for support and tip size... detail, model size, travel distance, resin type, all of the above? I'm about to print this 25xy tilted 15 deg. w/default support size of 1mm. I might try 42xy just for fun. I'll be using the Solus Proto. Thanks.
Attachments
turtle support.JPG
turtle support.JPG (39.94KiB)Viewed 9397 times
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Re: Support Thickness

Postby Jewelermdt » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:06 am

Is that a solid model? You would definitely need larger stronger supports for that. Most likely sag during printing. I would hollow the model and possibly print it in two parts. I it's hollow, you will need a hole for the non cured resin to drain out while printing. Also longer wait time between layers to allow it to drain.
rcdesign
Novice

Postby rcdesign » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:15 pm

Jewelermdt wrote:Is that a solid model? You would definitely need larger stronger supports for that. Most likely sag during printing. I would hollow the model and possibly print it in two parts. I it's hollow, you will need a hole for the non cured resin to drain out while printing. Also longer wait time between layers to allow it to drain.

Thanks Jewelermdt. Excellent points-I'll keep them in mind. The opposite site is open and has some backside supports. It was just an experiment. Even though it's 2" long and would have weighed over 2oz in 14k, it grew fine with the 1mm default/automatic supports. Whats possible with this machine is amazing.

Every time I've tried heavier supports, I get bending or sagging so I've learned that less is more. I was just wondering when heavy supports are the best option as I rarely see them used.
Attachments
turtle 002-1.jpg
turtle 002-1.jpg (76.77KiB)Viewed 9335 times
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:54 pm

I have printed some very heavy models, and sometimes I use the thicker supports if they are very tall, just for stability.

That's a great print by the way Robert!
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:07 pm

Dialed in!! Nice print.
rcdesign
Novice

Postby rcdesign » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:30 am

Archerm wrote:Dialed in!! Nice print.

Thanks Emil and Acherm. I like modeling animals when I get the chance. It gives me a chance to study their structure and features in a substantial way. A whippet is my next animal project.