Print/waves marks

Show off your prints.
SrForum
Print/waves marks

Postby SrForum » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:05 pm

Hello everybody.
My prints are showing these lines/waves on the surface, which are often difficult to remove in the casting. Is there any way to reduce these marks and make the resin piece smoother on the surface?
Attachments
2021-03-20 14.21.49.jpg
2021-03-20 14.21.43.jpg
rkundla
Solus Master

Re: Print/waves marks

Postby rkundla » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:47 pm

The standard questions:

- What machine are you using?
- What resin are you using?
- What settings are you using on the machine for that resin?
- Are you printing for casting or modeling?

Have you tried changing the orientation of the print to minimize the layer lines? Orientation plays a big part in how the layer lines appear on the print. Curves that are in alignment with the Z-plane will show the most layer lines. You can also use a smaller layer thickness at the expense of a longer-running print job.

-Ron
SrForum

Postby SrForum » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:42 pm

Hello, rkundla.
I'm using a Solus and also another DLP DIY. The resin is B9 Emerald for casting and a modeling resin (the red one in the photo). The problem with the lines happens with both printers and with any resin. 0.30 layer, but the orientation did not understand. I am printing these pieces vertically.
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:02 am

For simple prints, you can cure them per the resin directions, then use fine sandpaper to smooth out the layer lines.

Other options:
  • using a smaller Z-layer step size < 0.30 per your response
  • try to tilt the object to change Z-layer profile as it prints to see if you can minimize the layer lines
  • try different brands of resin that blend the layers better (resin with lower sharpness)
  • If anti-aliasing is available, sometimes that can help smooth layer lines
  • slightly defocus the projector to soften the hard edges (might have other negative effects)