MikeT's Prints

Show off your prints.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master
Re: MikeT's Prints

Postby Jewelermdt » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:31 am

Here is one of the above rings tumbled only. Flash kind of washed it out. Detail spheres are .45mm
Greencastb.jpg
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:45 pm

Mike what investment are you using? When I was using satin cast for prints I used Valspar Microburst clear Lacquer. It worked pretty good as it was a super fine mist and dried extremely fast. Mark
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:33 pm

Glad the Emerald green worked well for you. I'm not quite sure but I think thicker supports is the way with the green resin.

What was the reason of your print failures?
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:40 am

I am using Satincast investment. Nothing special at all. Just as I use when casting wax. After printing I clean in Alcohol, then in water with Dawn. I have found you need to use new water and Dawn each time, otherwise a white film will be at bottom of container and will stick to new print. I do this cleaning at my store. So the print will set out in light a few hours before taking to my shop at home. I Microwave 3 min. in baby oil, let it cool down 10 to 15 min. I do this twice. Next is to clean off oil in ultrasonic in water and Dawn again. I was dipping rings in a Mineral spirits - sprue wax mixture. After casting some bracelets tonight I don't see the need. They came out great. I use my normal burn out for my wax. Ramp to 500 degrees hold 1 hour, ram to 800 hold 1 hr ram to 1350 hold two hours, ramp down to 1000 and hold till I'm ready to cast. I use a vacuum cast system.

I believe my fails are do to supports not quite in the right place. They looked good in netfab and form1 software but hard to see some areas that you think are supported by another part of the ring.

brac.jpg
brac.jpg (52.45KiB)Viewed 9317 times
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:08 pm

I will have to try a test with the green and satin cast next week as I already cast this week. You peaked my curiosity!!
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:35 am

I did a quick Cad today and print to check the lettering. Forgot to increase thickness in the model. Nice to know the Solus can print fairly thin. Printed this flat. But did another at an angle just to see. .93mm thick It came out great. No hole.
MEfire3.jpg

MEfire3.jpg
Attachments
MEfire2.jpg