New Aluminum Resin Tank

Furqueron
Novice
Re: New Aluminum Resin Tank

Postby Furqueron » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:06 pm

Hi Ken,

How'd you like the new tank after using it? I got a 2nd one and another fixed base a while back, but haven't installed them yet on Thing 1? Been working on designs in software and havent had time to update Thing 1. Just using a Thing 2 at the moment.

Was a bit surprised that the 2nd fixed base was a two piece Unit as opposed to the one piece original one. I'm sure it'll work great though, from a quickglance over.

If you don't mind my asking, where 'bouts in Texas are you? We're up in a northern suburb of Dallas.

Jesse
ken3dcad
Novice

Postby ken3dcad » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:31 pm

Just tried it for the first time today. Worked great. I'm just South of Waco. I hope everyone is having a good season.
sochin
Novice

Postby sochin » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:43 am

A standard aluminium vat came with my printer. I love it having used very expensive disposable plastic trays with the Asiga. One thing I found was that the height made it a bit difficult to pour the resin out for straining. Also stirring resin often caused some to come up over the edge.

I guess I could be more careful but I mentioned that a vat a little bit higher would solve those issues for me......so Reify had one made. I love this vat and what service. Thanks Mark.
Attachments
IMG_0321.JPG
Shinlocke
Novice

Postby Shinlocke » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:45 pm

sochin wrote:One thing I found was that the height made it a bit difficult to pour the resin out for straining. Also stirring resin often caused some to come up over the edge.
Are you straining resin as you pour into the VAT or are you talking about pouring resin from the VAT for straining? I don't strain into the VAT, but when I do have to remove resin... I remove the VAT, then strain into a specimen or smaller container taking advantage of the pour spout on the corner of the VAT. To stir the resin in the VAT, I use a spatula from IKEA (any silicone spatula will work). I cut it so when the "Build Plate" is removed, it fits under it so I can carefully pull resin, mixing from the sides, inward and vice versa going around the edges.
sochin
Novice

Postby sochin » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:06 am

Shinlocke wrote:
sochin wrote:One thing I found was that the height made it a bit difficult to pour the resin out for straining. Also stirring resin often caused some to come up over the edge.
Are you straining resin as you pour into the VAT or are you talking about pouring resin from the VAT for straining? I don't strain into the VAT, but when I do have to remove resin... I remove the VAT, then strain into a specimen or smaller container taking advantage of the pour spout on the corner of the VAT. To stir the resin in the VAT, I use a spatula from IKEA (any silicone spatula will work). I cut it so when the "Build Plate" is removed, it fits under it so I can carefully pull resin, mixing from the sides, inward and vice versa going around the edges.

Hi Shinlocke, I do the same with straining. I do it as I pour out of the vat. I find the higher vat wall makes the tipping point not so critical.

I do not use a spatula, I stir my resin with my finger (glove on) before every print. I like to feel if there is anything stuck to the teflon or in the resin. If there is I empty the vat, strain and clean up.

The only thing that the higher tray makes more difficult is the back screws during a teflon replacement.

cheers,
Sochin
Robert
Novice

Postby Robert » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:36 pm

Good idea mixing with your finger and a glove.

The tall vat is also great, what a good service. I'm quite happy with my shorter one, but great to see that Reify can do that.