burnout free soluble resin?

Discuss 3d printing resins
manakawari
Solus Expert
burnout free soluble resin?

Postby manakawari » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:06 pm

its crazy imo, that a resin isn't yet available that offers a burnout free removal.

I have absolutely zero chemistry experience but I cant imagine that eliminating the problems with clean burnout,ash, melting etc. is easier to accomplish than just creating a resin that easily and completely dissolves in either water or a specific solvent.

I would love something like this because, while Im not a jeweler, and I do not have all the proper equipment , I would love to experiment with my solus for
making low melt metal alloy objects like tin and pewter.

it just seems like for this purpose, a several hour burnout in an expensive kiln is overkill.

It would be great if I could print, create a plaster mold and drop it in a bucket of something for a few hours and wash it out.

from what I understand there is nothing available that actually works like this no?
Archerm
Solus Master

Re: burnout free soluble resin?

Postby Archerm » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:50 pm

Sounds way easier than you would think. Lots of chemistry to worry about not just the resin. Also you cannot pour hot metals of any type into a cavity with the slightest amount of moisture as it will explode back at you. Some burnout is needed as almost all metals require a certain mold temperature. And other factors......
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:55 pm

Your best bet for low temperature casting (tin, zinc, lead, etc...) is sand casting using Delft clay or other non-lost wax methods. You are limited to the complexity of said objects because you have to make a mold that splits in two. No overhangs or other complex geometry. Another option is wax carving, which then allows you to steam dewax with simple enough equipment.

There is a nasty resin out there called Rinse Out Resin from Bucktown Polymers. Stay away from it. :evil: Seriously... I have not yet seen any printer that is able to make something useful from it - usually a undercured, blobby, sticky mess. Since I have never seen a proper model all cured, I have no idea if it dissolves enough. It didn't dissolve in any of my tests. Just made it more gelatinous and sticky. You have been warned! ;)

The nature of these acrylic resins are that they are highly resistant to solvents, since the resin itself is a solvent. It is the bane of plastics, but one of its best qualities.
manakawari
Solus Expert

Postby manakawari » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:39 pm

thanks for the replies, yes, I already read the thread on the rinse out resin and the warnings from the community.

That thread initially caught my attention because I thought if it worked, it would be perfect for my needs.

I Thought about sand casting but like you pointed out, im limited in the geometry and unfortunately , the shapes I need to cast are rather complex.

so aside from the rinse out resin, there are no other resins that would be better suited for my needs?

im currently milling the stuff I need to cast out of wax for easy burn out but with my cnc, im limited to 3 axis only and cnc is a pain in the ass anyway.

since I already have a solus, I was hoping for an easier solution.

The only solution I can think of short of a better resin for my needs, is to print with solus proto resin, cast in silicone and then create wax models to then burn out.

No better idea out there for low melt alloys?
manakawari
Solus Expert

Postby manakawari » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:41 pm

btw, do you have experience with sand casting?

I am thinking of trying it for some of the less complicated pieces id like to make but my concern was the surface texture being poor after casting.

How does sand casting compare to normal jewelry casting methods in regards to surface quality after casting?
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:33 pm

The grain size influences the surface quality directly. Using actual casting sand is pretty coarse. Deflt clay is as the name implies a fine clay. It can be pretty well compacted to provide a decent surface, but not as good as a perfectly cast lost wax model in investment.

If you search YouTube, you should be able to find a few videos out there about how to use Delft and casting examples, etc.
manakawari
Solus Expert

Postby manakawari » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:55 pm

thanks!