SolusWax Tips and Tricks

Discuss 3d printing resins
Mikkopee
Novice
Re: SolusWax Tips and Tricks

Postby Mikkopee » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:50 am

What happens if I clean prints in IPA (99.8%) more than 15sec? How does it effect casting?
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Well, we experienced that in leaving our prints for a longer time in Alcohol, the results can be dramatic, the alcohol will disintegrate or eats up the uppermost layer, by that the surface won't be as smooth after the casting, so you need more time to finish your piece.
rsaldivar
Solus Master

Postby rsaldivar » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:02 pm

IPA reacts with resin , all resins , its best to clean the uncured resin off but remove the IPA right after that asap because the reaction continues to occur until the ipa evaporate completely and that reduces your chances for success , I believe it penetrates the surface layer of the model that can react with the investment
Mikkopee
Novice

Postby Mikkopee » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:12 am

mongerdesigns wrote:Here are some helpful tips for the SolusWax resin:

Software and Resin Profile

Download the latest software update in order to access the SolusWax resin profile. Inside Contour, under the HELP menu, check for the latest update, install it and restart Contour. The new resin profile for SolusWax should be selectable. You may need to enable Beta software downloads from inside the Preferences in order to get the latest Beta version of the software.

Resin Handling

Warm up the bottle of SolusWax by submerging into hot water for about 5 minutes, and then shake the bottle really well to mix in any wax that may have settled on the bottom. Shake for 1-2 minutes before pouring some into the resin tank. Repeat this process if the resin bottle has been sitting unshaken for about 5 days or longer. If the bottle was already mixed a few days before, then just shaking well before pouring is enough.
For the resin that’s been sitting in the resin tank, simply mixing it well with the soft spatula is enough. No heating is required. Make sure to mix in the settled wax from the bottom of the tank.

If you're located in a high humidity area, we do not recommend leaving the resin in the tank after you're finished printing, because the resin can pull in moisture from the air and that can affect the printing and casting. Pour it into another container (preferable a dark glass jar or HDPE container) for storage. Then mix and shake really well before pouring back into the vat for printing. https://www.amazon.com/bottles-Lids-Gla ... 077ZRTHPK/

If you you prefer leaving it in the VAT, you can also wrap the vat carefully using plastic wrap and store it somewhere dark. Use fresh plastic wrap every time.

Supports

Use 0.3 and up supports for SolusWax. The wax content makes the resin soft for thin parts like support tips. When anchoring down the models, use thicker supports to hold it in place securely. For finer detail areas, 0.3 can be used. Do not use sphere support tips with SolusWax. They may separate while printing.

Post-cleaning and Curing

Clean the prints using 91% IPA alcohol for not more than 15 seconds. Use two separate containers of alcohol for proper cleaning. Dry the prints using compressed air or hair dryer. Cure the prints for no longer 20-30 minutes under UV lights. Curing is not required for casting, but will make the prints easier to handle and will make the resin stronger if you have very delicate parts that may break during investing.

Casting and Investment Types

We recommend R&R Plasticast or Optima Prestige investments, but others may work well also. Follow the manufacturer recommended mixing instructions and ratios.
No special burnout schedules are required for SolusWax. We do recommend a quick ramp up from 0F to 1450F and to hold for 2-3 hours at 1450F before ramping down to casting temp, hold for 1-2 hours and cast.
For thicker items, it may be necessary to hold longer at the high end or to slow down the ramp speed a little.

Can you add opening post: DO NOT USE WATER FOR CURING
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:21 pm

rsaldivar wrote:IPA reacts with resin , all resins , its best to clean the uncured resin off but remove the IPA right after that asap because the reaction continues to occur until the ipa evaporate completely and that reduces your chances for success , I believe it penetrates the surface layer of the model that can react with the investment

IPA is a solvent with uncured resin, but it isn't a solvent against fully cured resin. If you really look at a print, even though it is solid, it is not 100% cured. The longer it sits in the IPA, the more it is able to dissolve the uncured resin microns deep into the surface. Then IPA can get trapped in there if it doesn't evaporate out and when you invest it, it either interacts with the water in the investment or it bubbles out during heating causing surface defects like orange peel.

The question is how long does it really need to be in the IPA to just remove that wet surface resin so you can go to the next step of curing (UV or heat). The answer is just enough. ;-)
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:01 pm

We found that best method of cleaning with IPA is to dip and agitate for 10-15 seconds. Then use compressed air (or a hair dryer) to blow off the "dissolved" resin and IPA. Then repeat if necessary. Ron is correct, leaving the prints sitting in the IPA for too long is not recommended.
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
dcpattni
Novice

Postby dcpattni » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:15 pm

anyone have try use RESINAWAY instead of IPA?

regards,
Kokos
Novice

Postby Kokos » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:40 pm

How can I tell If my Soluswax resin is still good?

It wont print not even on the maximum exposure times. Other resin works great.
Other settings I have checked and are good.
Mikkopee
Novice

Postby Mikkopee » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:02 pm

Kokos wrote:How can I tell If my Soluswax resin is still good?

It wont print not even on the maximum exposure times. Other resin works great.
Other settings I have checked and are good.

I had this same problem. I thought it was lamp, but its SW that it doesnt work.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1300&p=10987#p10987
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:37 pm

What's your exposure time, XY resolution and Z layer thickness?
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/