just received printer and need resin suggestion

Discuss 3d printing resins
manakawari
Solus Expert
just received printer and need resin suggestion

Postby manakawari » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:21 pm

we just received our solus and are very excited to start using it. we will not be using it for direct casting but rather we are a product development company in the fashion industry and I will be using it for creating clothing hardware prototypes, custom embellishments , and masters for embossing dies and other random uses.

one of the uses I would like to explore with my solus, is creating small, single use embossing dies for leather..the idea is that the print will be placed in a hydrolic press and the impression left behind will emboss the leather...as long as the stamp can survive a single use, then its of use to me because we do primarily sampling and development and the production is left to china.

If I can find a resin that is hard enough to survive the press and can achieve the tiny letter detail im looking for, then I will have another great use for my solus.

so basically, I am looking for a suggestion on a resin that can achieve best possible detail while curing as hard as possible with castability being of no concern.

the experimental ceramic resin I read about on this forum would be excellent as it would not only be strong and hard but also heat tolerant but since that's not available yet, I will settle for strong and hard although if someone knows of a heat tolerant resin already available , that can also achieve excellent detail I would love to hear about it.

Thanks
darrinfry
Novice

Re: just received printer and need resin suggestion

Postby darrinfry » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:31 pm

B9 black might be a good place to start. I know it can be used in vulcanized rubber molds, so it can withstand a bit of heat and pressure. It does produced good crisp details for us on our B9. I have yet to try it on our Solus, but i assume the results will be great as far as details. And it is not horribly expensive.

http://www.b9c.com/shop/materials/b9r-2-black
I really don't have any dogs. But the insatiable urge to fit in has caused me to do a dog avatar!
manakawari
Solus Expert

Postby manakawari » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:11 pm

black looks good but says pigmented to 30 microns? is the cherry terribly fragile? that looks like it would print with finer detail..is there no resin available that is both very hard and can achieve 25 microns?
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:18 pm

I dont believe that the cherry will work for your application. The black might be a place to start. How much pressure?