Hybrid Resin Blend (WaxCast and Emerald)

Discuss 3d printing resins
samatheang
Solus Expert
Re: Hybrid Resin Blend (WaxCast and Emerald)

Postby samatheang » Sun May 29, 2016 9:21 am

lklutts wrote:Not saying I have it down, but getting a grasp on it. I use the green settings for growing. I will post later my machine it's running. I have been curing in uv lamp for an hour or so.Then into my lizard lamp I got from pet mountain. 100 watt, heat,uv and ir. At the height of the box, high tech me, it goes to 150-160. I leave it till it looks cured some an hour, some three. Turn it a couple times to keep it even.
300 1.5 hours
800-2 hours
1350 3 hours
Back to soak temp
vacuum and cast

Thanks, lklutts. That's pretty close to what I have tried, but mind came out very bad. I used 500 for 2 hours, 900 for 2 hours, 1350 for 3 hours, then 1000 for one hour. I have attached some pics of my failed casting below. They were in the same flask with the models that were printed with the Emerald alone, and the Emerald alone came out perfect.

Emerald and Waxcast Hybrid:
IMG_8642.JPG

IMG_8643.JPG

Emerald by itself, and they were casted in the same flask with the Hybrid:
IMG_8641.JPG

IMG_8639.JPG

The only thing that I did differently from you is curing the Hybrid in water for two hours. Maybe that's problem. What do you guys think?

Thank you.
sgraber
Novice

Postby sgraber » Sun May 29, 2016 4:42 pm

Considering that there are water soluble additives in WaxCast, I would not cure in water. ;)
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:06 pm

sgraber wrote:Considering that there are water soluble additives in WaxCast, I would not cure in water. ;)

Yet there are no concerns about the water in the liquid investment mixture reacting with the WaxCast print? Is the resin hydrophilic when cured or is it only a problem when exposed to UV light at the same time?
sgraber
Novice

Postby sgraber » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:17 pm

rkundla wrote:Yet there are no concerns about the water in the liquid investment mixture reacting with the WaxCast print? Is the resin hydrophilic when cured or is it only a problem when exposed to UV light at the same time?

No, because the residence time is different. When people cure in water, the ring is soaking in water for hours. When it's invested, the investment solidifies fast enough that it's a non-issue.
jdwages
Novice

Postby jdwages » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:19 pm

I am curious how everyone is cleaning then curing this mix? After I take it off the base I run it in the ultrasonic for a few minutes then rinse under the faucet and in alcohol and then under the lizard light for a couple hours. Still feels slightly sticky or oily, is this normal for this mix? Will microwave/UV curing help or maybe faster, if so what method are you using? I will be casting a couple pieces this weekend looking forward to seeing the results. Thanks
sgraber
Novice

Postby sgraber » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:39 pm

jdwages wrote:I am curious how everyone is cleaning then curing this mix? After I take it off the base I run it in the ultrasonic for a few minutes then rinse under the faucet and in alcohol and then under the lizard light for a couple hours. Still feels slightly sticky or oily, is this normal for this mix? Will microwave/UV curing help or maybe faster, if so what method are you using? I will be casting a couple pieces this weekend looking forward to seeing the results. Thanks

While I can't speak for this blend, I can tell you how I cure WaxCast whenever I cast it:

WaxCast is different than other resins: it'll feel "waxy" even when fully cured. Literally just cure it for ~6 hrs under either a UV light or sunlight (do NOT submerse in any liquid during cure) and you're good-to-go. That is literally all I do: print, clean, dry off solvent, UV cure in air in a UV box, and drop it off at the jeweler where they just invest it for me.
Messerbr
Solus Expert

Postby Messerbr » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:07 pm

Testing out the 50/50 emerald waxcast mix and have something interesting happening. It seems that some of the cured resin pulls apart from the model during the peel process?
Attachments
Splitting resin 2.jpg
Splitting resin 3.jpg
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:10 pm

Seems like it cracked? Did you try to reprint it?
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/
Messerbr
Solus Expert

Postby Messerbr » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:45 pm

Tried reprinting and both split again. I then resupported each one and bumped up the size of where the supports contact the model and it came out great. Also, we had some extra cherry so I mixed the waxcast and cherry 50/50 and printed this using the cherry 30z profile at 25xy. I tried to print this cherry/wax mix on the 42xy using the waxcast profile and it was a mess. We'll see how it casts next week sometime.
Attachments
WP_20160616_16_25_59_Pro.jpg
WP_20160616_16_25_47_Pro.jpg
mongerdesigns
Solus Guru

Postby mongerdesigns » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:19 am

Looks great!

Let us know how the Cherry/WaxCast mix casts. Might be a better option for casting than the Emerald/WaxCast mix, plus a little cheaper ;)
Monger Designs a.k.a. Monger
http://www.mongerdesigns.com

Junction3d - Official US Distributor for the SOLUS 3D PRINTER
http://www.junction3d.com

Follow us on Instagram!
https://www.instagram.com/junction3d/