Hybrid Resin Blend (WaxCast and Emerald)

Discuss 3d printing resins
samatheang
Solus Expert
Re: Hybrid Resin Blend (WaxCast and Emerald)

Postby samatheang » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:02 am

It Would be appreciated if you can share your casting experience with both Hybrids. I still don't have any luck casting both Emerald/Waxcast Hybrid and Waxcast alone. I have tried curing it 6 hours in UV without water too, but still doesn't work. Emerald alone is perfect though.
KyleThomas

Postby KyleThomas » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:30 am

hi everyone, thank you for your posts.
I have also been trying out all these methods mentioned here in this forum.

So far what i have found is that -
Emerald by itself ------------------- prints well , no problem
Mix 50/50 Emerald + Waxcast ---- prints well , also no problem
Waxcast by itself ------------------- 42xy sometimes ok , often incomplete prints
" " -------------------------------- 25xy 99 percent of the time... partial prints (hic hic no luck getting that perfect print yet)

as for CASTING...
not all of us (including myself) have casting equipments or have time to do it ourselves.
and are sending it out to professional casting houses.. unfortunately they don't do a good job.
they charge a ton of money and gives you back casting pieces full of pittings and ferocities etc.

due to the fact that they have many clients to service... they will not have the time or care to change their casting procedures, timing etc.
which means I have tried letting them cast my Emerald , Emerald Waxcast 50/50 .. Both FAILED

The closest that I have come to a "near" good cast is Waxcast by itself with this one casting house i use.
Maybe due to the fact I have not quite master the profile settings etc.. I find that it's hard to get a perfect print.

I hope that soon.. someone will make that breakthrough.
creating "The Resin" that will be easier to print
and also just as easy to cast ...just like wax

wish you luck ... to everyone out there!
Attachments
8.jpg
1.jpg
samatheang
Solus Expert

Postby samatheang » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:50 am

I still haven't had any luck with Waxcast or the Hybrid, but for Emerald, I have no problem. Make sure you cure the emerald at least two-three hours under UV. I do heat and UV cure with Emerald. One hour 300F + One hour 350F + 1 hour UV Cure. Hope this helps. Also, make sure your caster uses PlastiCast. If you want, I can be your caster.

KyleThomas wrote:hi everyone, thank you for your posts.

Waxcast by itself ------------------- 42xy sometimes ok , often incomplete prints
" " -------------------------------- 25xy 99 percent of the time... partial prints (hic hic no luck getting that perfect print yet)

as for CASTING...
not all of us (including myself) have casting equipments or have time to do it ourselves.
and are sending it out to professional casting houses.. unfortunately they don't do a good job.
they charge a ton of money and gives you back casting pieces full of pittings and ferocities etc.

due to the fact that they have many clients to service... they will not have the time or care to change their casting procedures, timing etc.
which means I have tried letting them cast my Emerald , Emerald Waxcast 50/50 .. Both FAILED

The closest that I have come to a "near" good cast is Waxcast by itself with this one casting house i use.
Maybe due to the fact I have not quite master the profile settings etc.. I find that it's hard to get a perfect print.

KyleThomas

Postby KyleThomas » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:47 am

hi Samatheang

thanks for your input
when doing heat ... do you mean by placing in oven ?
I normally just place my items under UV light for a few days.

never tried heat sources.

samatheang wrote:I still haven't had any luck with Waxcast or the Hybrid, but for Emerald, I have no problem. Make sure you cure the emerald at least two-three hours under UV. I do heat and UV cure with Emerald. One hour 300F + One hour 350F + 1 hour UV Cure. Hope this helps. Also, make sure your caster uses PlastiCast. If you want, I can be your caster.

KyleThomas wrote:hi everyone, thank you for your posts.

as for CASTING...

samatheang
Solus Expert

Postby samatheang » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:32 am

Yep, just put in the oven and program it to 300F and 350F for one hour each. Make sure not to go over 350F because it might crack your models. Some people do microwave. It is faster, but I think it is more time consuming since you have to watch it. For heating in the oven, you just leave it there. Good luck.

Here are a couple of my casting with Emerald alone:

IMG_8637.JPG

IMG_8640.JPG

KyleThomas wrote:hi Samatheang

thanks for your input
when doing heat ... do you mean by placing in oven ?
I normally just place my items under UV light for a few days.

never tried heat sources.

Mhgjewel
Novice

Postby Mhgjewel » Sat May 06, 2017 3:40 pm

How cured does the hybrid need to befor casting. I've tried leaving the print in my UV for many many hours. but I still have a band of dark running through the model and if I snap it in half it's clearly not fully cured.
Mhgjewel
Novice

Postby Mhgjewel » Sat May 06, 2017 3:42 pm

Pics
Attachments
IMG_3274.JPG
IMG_3273.JPG
IMG_3272.JPG
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Sat May 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Neon light curing is always slower, and it doesn't go that deep. Marc.
Mhgjewel
Novice

Postby Mhgjewel » Sat May 06, 2017 5:59 pm

What are you using?
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Sat May 06, 2017 6:36 pm

Mhgjewel wrote:What are you using?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUANS-110V-20W- ... 46587158cf The same LED's as the B9c curing unit or the envisiontec box.