resin color question

Discuss 3d printing resins
manakawari
Solus Expert
resin color question

Postby manakawari » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:39 pm

so im experimenting with makerjuice white resin and after some amount of experimentation, i seem to have gotten the white printing well, now that i have a white base that i know the pigment concentration and exposure for, what do you think the chances are for me being able to use this as a base and add additional transparent resin pigment to in order to create custom colors?

i have resin pigment but not the opaque kind used for 3d printing, its a transparent colored dye used for changing the color of transparent casting resin..what id like to do is use this white as my base and lets say i need yellow, i would simply add one drop of yellow pigment to the white base...im hoping since these pigments are transparent and how only a single drop goes a long way in coloring clear and white resins, that i can now change the color of the white resin and successfully print without having to mess with the exposure settings for each color...what do you guys thing my chances of this working are?
rkundla
Solus Master

Re: resin color question

Postby rkundla » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:02 pm

If the assumption was that the opacity of the pigment was the primary factor in reducing the penetration of the UV light, then you could probably add color to the white to change the tint.

Color does affect abosorption or reflection of light, so that might influence light bleed when curing, etc. Only way to tell is by testing.

You'd have to make sure that the dye you have is compatible with the resin base so it mixes properly. It would be worth experimenting on I think.
3dtech
Location:MONA TILES COMPOUND, NR. CHHANI CIRCLE, CHHANI ROAD, VADODARA - 390002. GUJARAT, INDIA.

Re: resin color question

Postby 3dtech » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:27 am

thanks for this information.