SolusCast: Cracks in heavy model

Discuss 3d printing resins
KennyB
Novice
Re: SolusCast: Cracks in heavy model

Postby KennyB » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:31 pm

Chalamba wrote:Would you post a picture of your curing assembly?
Why would you vacuum the print, have i missed something :)?
Regards

I'll post a picture tomorrow as I'm home from the store for the day.

I bought a vacuum oven after reading this article:
https://patternedart.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/binnionsfs2016.pdf

I never had perfect castings no matter what I tried before getting the vacuum oven. I mean, they were usually workable with a little laser welding action, but they were not perfect like wax used to be. Now they are with the occasional exception.
KennyB
Novice

Postby KennyB » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:34 pm

mongerdesigns wrote:
KennyB wrote:
mongerdesigns wrote:Kenny,

Which type of UV chamber are you using?

2 hours of curing is what we do with our 405nm UV cure box for regular rings. Thicker rings like the one you printed may require longer curing times.

I just use two of the 36W nail cure lamps with a rotating table. I will definetly cure these longer, in fact they're going all night.

I pulled it out to look at it after two hours to see if there was any cracks, since the cracks showed up in that anount of time before. We'll see in the morning if any show up but I think I'm all set. I'll stick them in the vacuum oven tomorrow too to see how they handle that.

I actually have 21 different versions of these rings to make for a local high school baseball team. Should be fun :-)

I wish you luck with the curing, but what I found is that at some point longer cures don't matter as much with the 365nm bulbs. Light doesn't penetrate deeper than what the UV blocker allows. Maybe a few hundred microns deep or deeper with some diffusion. I found that the 405nm light does a much better job, even with shorter cure times. Your vacuum technique might help though to cure the resin beyond what the UV alone can do. Looking forward to your results.

If I have issues with the casting, I'll tell the boss I need the Solus cure box, lol. I like new toys anyway :D
eg123
Novice

Postby eg123 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:04 pm

Anxious to hear how it goes.
I sometimes make molds from models just so I don't have to deal with casting issues and if the SolusCast works well with the Solus curing box
it will save me lots of time and money.
I will also be talking to my boss about getting the Solus UV box.
rsaldivar
Solus Master

Postby rsaldivar » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:18 am

do you have a link to the vacuum unite
KennyB
Novice

Postby KennyB » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:35 am

M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:57 pm

We went back to our nail box curing. a set of two, with a rotating table for each unit. We have noticed that all our QUAN Ultra Violet LED Flood Light lost a big deal of intensity. The same good result with an overnight curing.
I need also to mention that a good programmable oven is key to a successful professional casting operation. Marc.
Dstonic
Novice

Postby Dstonic » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:28 pm

Wow, how old are your Quan's UV's , Mark. (or hours used I should say?). I run a pair of them all the time set up in a "A roof" stance with a white or mirror bottom plate. Is there a test you know of we can run on them to see what intensity we are at? Thanks for the post Mark..great point.
rsaldivar
Solus Master

Postby rsaldivar » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:40 pm

they lose intensity , but are still good unites , they wear and you have to replace them , the nail united might be a fire hazard , just buy a new one or 2 (20w) , and put next to your old one , you will see the difference , they do loose , this is a twice a year investment in my opinion , however the lizard lamp can go a longer time I think, and has heart , I suspect that the higher end curing boxes loose intensity too , only make sense , the more you use something the more it wears ,
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:16 pm

Yes, indeed even lamps tend to go bad after a while. We usually put fresh ones once a year. We have noticed that the led's lose their intensity quicker though. " Is there a test you know of we can run on them to see what intensity we are at?"
You can simply put it next to a new one to see the difference. The led's might work fine for some, But we avoid to take any risk in the process. Marc.
rsaldivar
Solus Master

Postby rsaldivar » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:24 pm

Hi Mark , I sent you a pm