SolusCast: Cracks in heavy model

Discuss 3d printing resins
printcast
Solus Expert
Re: SolusCast: Cracks in heavy model

Postby printcast » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:43 pm

rsaldivar

You've been working with SolusCast for awhile. You probably know more than most. Do you have a cure and burnout cycle that is working for you? The SolusCast printed amazing for me but I could not get it to burnout without leaving residue. Everyone was saying cure-cure-cure but that didn't seem to be the answer for me. For me, I believe, it had to do with the material leaving junk in the cast area.
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:43 pm

Well. If your prints are nicely cured, and assuming you have a programmable oven. you hold the max Temp for 4 H. I personally wouldn't see why you won't have a successful casting. you always need to proceed by elimination, one adjustment at the time.

Marc.
rsaldivar
Solus Master

Postby rsaldivar » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:09 pm

I feel Iv had good success with casting soluscast whenever the ring is average thickness ( approx 6 grams a piece ) , I find it hard to cast fonts or heavy class ring types , no doubt soulcast is longer cure , however Im now experimenting with a new way to cure the blue a certain way and specific procedures that will yield better results and way shorter times , dont have much time to test theories though so results will take a while , beed discussing with experts on resins , will let you know when I have something worth posting

I use prestige investment , not plasicast
printcast
Solus Expert

Postby printcast » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:51 pm

M-Williams,

It was very early on when I was trying to use Soluscast. My situation was that parts needed to ship but my cast were not turning out good enough to ship. I had to go back to what worked consistent for me, which is Emerald. SolusCast printed very nice for me and would like to go with it again once people say "do this" and you'll have success.
rsaldivar you have been at it a good long time. You have been honest with your real world results. When you get this solved please share, as you have been.

For emerald I have been using plasticast but recently switched to prestige. I ran prestige up to 1480F for 4 hrs with my last cast and it came out FLAWLESS.
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:45 pm

printcast wrote:M-Williams,

The soluscast prints awesome.The casting can be random with big pieces. We use cherry resin for all prints. Marc.

It was very early on when I was trying to use Soluscast. My situation was that parts needed to ship but my cast were not turning out good enough to ship. I had to go back to what worked consistently for me, which is Emerald. SolusCast printed very nice for me and would like to go with it again once people say "do this" and you'll have success.
rsaldivar you have been at it a good long time. You have been honest with your real world results. When you get this solved please share, as you have been.

For emerald I have been using plasticast but recently switched to prestige. I ran prestige up to 1480F for 4 hrs with my last cast and it came out FLAWLESS.
printcast
Solus Expert

Postby printcast » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:09 pm

M-Williams

Do you have a class ring type cured SolusCast ring with font like rsaldivar is describing as problematic that I could test cast? I do have a well calibrated programmable furnace.
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:07 pm

printcast wrote:M-Williams

Do you have a class ring type cured SolusCast ring with font like rsaldivar is describing as problematic that I could test cast? I do have a well calibrated programmable furnace.

I really don't see the point of me sending you a wax print. You can always cure it overnight and do your casting yourself. Believe me, there is no magic.
When it comes to a perfect casting, You have got to use an induction casting machine. It is a day and night difference compared to a centrifugal, Except for platinum casting though.
I need to add, that I have no dog in the fight, I'm not promoting the Soluscast here, as we are using the cherry resin all the time.

Marc.
dcpattni
Novice

Postby dcpattni » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Hello Everyone,

I.m going to try casting SC & b9 emerald resin, print of SC came out detailing.....

After print cleaning in warm soap water by using Ultrasonic, curing unit from Reify, curing already done 8 hours under water, remove supports again curing underwater 3hr & without water 2 hours...

still feel Emerald is soft need to cure more?

suggestion are welcome before cast....i'll be casting next week

I had burn with touch few resin supports to check SC & B9 green Video link below.... looks like SC resin didn't burn completely.
https://youtu.be/MNenxDYdVKI

I'm using Vacuum casting of Kayacast, Oven Programmable max 800C (10 ramp per min), Electric melting furnace 1120C max ......I can't not afford induction melting system now....

Investment will use SRS cadcast which I normally use for Emerald or R&R plasicast (never try).....40/100 with boric powder 2%.
burnout cycle
165c-1 Hour
550c- 1 hour
775c- 7 hours
630c- casting temp....Silver will melt @ 1020C hand pour.

what is right & wrong let me know bçoz this door has very tiny details.
Attachments
door.JPG
IMG_20180329_183600.jpg
IMG_20180329_180728.jpg
after removing support curing again.
IMG_20180329_183643.jpg
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:32 am

I would like to share with you another piece of information, we believe very valuable. We use cool water from the fridge to mix with our investment powder. It gives us plenty of time to vacuum our flasks. We have noticed a more dense, and compact investment with a 100% free air bubbles. Marc.
rsaldivar
Solus Master

Postby rsaldivar » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:00 am

I think that should cast fine , piece is thin and detail isn't like a class ring where you will have tiny pieces of investment hanging