solus wax burnout

Discuss casting techniques
M-Williams
Solus Master

Re: solus wax burnout

Postby M-Williams » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:23 pm

We have been using Plasticast for a while now and I assume it is the casting investment of choice when it comes to resin. Smooth, very strong and Extremely forgiving material when it comes to temperature ramp ups. Marc.
Juar75

Postby Juar75 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:01 pm

Thanks Marc

I have to try plasticast

Regards
rkundla
Solus Expert

Postby rkundla » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:07 am

Juar75 wrote:1. The ramping straight from 80F to 1450F in 1.5hrs was too fast??
for a flask of 2.5 in x 2.5 in, (just one ladies ring) that was sitting for 1.5 hrs after investing with ultravest maxx 38:100
What is a good time for reach the 1450F?

I run Prestige Optima at 1000°F/hour ramp time up to 1450°F and haven't seen a problem. How old is your investment? Maybe the component ratios are messed up if it isn't mixed well? If you give it a little more dry time before putting it in the kiln, it might give it more strength against the rapid removal of water vapor within the flask.

Juar75 wrote:2. Or my kiln it's not enough calibrate and maybe is more than 1450F?

That could be a problem if you aren't 100% sure where your kiln falls temperature wise. You could get some pyrometric cones to do a test if you don't have another high-temp thermocouple available to measure against. https://digitalfire.com/glossary/cones
Juar75

Postby Juar75 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:40 pm

Thank you for answer,
My investment is fresh it have like 4 months since it was made,
I'll try to do more dry time , for test it also try a slower ramp speed.
Also it's a great idea to try the pyrometric cones to be sure my kiln temp.

Thanks a lot!!
sochin
Novice

Postby sochin » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:39 pm

Juar75 wrote:
I just do it today and the top of my flask was broken, with soluswax pro
so i have some doubts:

1. The ramping straight from 80F to 1450F in 1.5hrs was too fast??

2. Or my kiln it's not enough calibrate and maybe is more than 1450F?

Regards

I have been casting the Solus Wax Pro for a couple of months now with no issues. Loving it. I am using Omega + as I did with all the B9 resins.

I put the flask in the kiln and ramp up to 1450 in an hour to 1hr 20min. I use an old Neycraft and I just have a number I set it to that I know will achieve the ramp. The more I have in the kiln the longer it takes. About 2/3rds the way through my ramp to 1450 I flip my flasks. Just about when everything is burning.

I sit my investment for 90 min after pour and then cast straight away. Only issues I have had was when my slurry was too cold...so not the fault of the resin. Great product for me.

cheers,
Sochin