First Time Casting

Discuss casting techniques
sochin
Novice
Re: First Time Casting

Postby sochin » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:27 am

Mikkopee wrote:Is it possible to try cast B9 Emerald so we can rule things out?

Good idea......or try casting some good old wax to rule investment issues or general casting issues out to a large degree ......seeing as the OP is new to casting and it may be easier to get wax than B9 resins here in Australia.

I would also suggest that OpedHead switch to the Solus Wax Pro once he prefects good old wax.

Solus Wax Pro is the closest thing I have cast to wax. I have successfully cast Asiga resins, Kevvox and B9 (B9 resins for about 6 years....B9 resin of choice B9 Cherry) before going to Solus Wax Pro .....after B9 stopped my supplier from selling B9 resin here in Australia.

I have been casting Omega + with resins for about 6-7 years now IIRC. I sometimes use good old Satin Cast when Omega + is out of stock.

I generally mix Omega+ 38:100 and also dilute 13 grams of Boric Acid in my demineralised water for the slurry.

The only resin I have found works well with a 90 minute investment stand time is the SolusWax Pro. The rest I used to stand for a minimum of 5 hours and I understand others still do the longer stand times with Solus Wax Pro. My fear with Solus Wax Pro is the sweating that the resin does when stood for longer periods.

Like Ron I flip my pots to button up after the wax tree is burnt/melted. I also periodically open the oven door to facilitate a better burn.

cheers and Merry Christmas,
Sochin
sochin
Novice

Postby sochin » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:46 am

OpedHead wrote:I should mention I used B9 Emerald to begin with, then after about two years tried EasyCast HD (brown) and love it.

Sorry missed that........I would still suggest you try to get success at casting wax before trying to trouble shoot resins.......and also switch to Solus Wax Pro.

cheers,
Sochin
Kokos
Novice

Postby Kokos » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:08 pm

Any updates? Did you find out what you needed to change to get good results?