CAST HELP ASAP PLS!!!!!!!! NEW TO CASTING

Discuss casting techniques
andrewcampbell2030
CAST HELP ASAP PLS!!!!!!!! NEW TO CASTING

Postby andrewcampbell2030 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:29 pm

I've been trying to cast for weeks and a can't figure out whats wrong. I've tried everything from changing my burnout cycle multiple times to trying cure my castable 3D Prints with 1hr UV exposure and microwaving it and still nothing. The problem seems to be the resin. Can anyone help pls?

Investment: Plasticast
Resin: Power Resin Zero
Attachments
20210706_002454.jpg
20210706_002448.jpg
20210704_001109.jpg
20210630_000829.jpg
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Re: CAST HELP ASAP PLS!!!!!!!! NEW TO CASTING

Postby Jewelermdt » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:15 am

Try a different resin. Solus Wax Pro cast great. Looks like interaction with the investment. Do you go to 1400 degrees and hold that for at least 3 hours.
Mikkopee
Novice

Postby Mikkopee » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:46 pm

Jewelermdt wrote:Try a different resin. Solus Wax Pro cast great. Looks like interaction with the investment. Do you go to 1400 degrees and hold that for at least 3 hours.

B9 Emerald is better IMO.
We have had lot of problems with Solus Wax Pro. Holes, porosity and so on.
SWP casting success rate is about 70% and B9 Emerald is about 95-100%.

SWP prints are great, castings are not.
B9 prints are not as good as SWP but casting is lot easier.
Juar75

Postby Juar75 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:56 pm

I agree with you, Had many troubles with SWP
Mikkopee wrote:
Jewelermdt wrote:Try a different resin. Solus Wax Pro cast great. Looks like interaction with the investment. Do you go to 1400 degrees and hold that for at least 3 hours.

B9 Emerald is better IMO.
We have had lot of problems with Solus Wax Pro. Holes, porosity and so on.
SWP casting success rate is about 70% and B9 Emerald is about 95-100%.

SWP prints are great, castings are not.
B9 prints are not as good as SWP but casting is lot easier.
sochin
Novice

Postby sochin » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:39 pm

No help for the original poster but was surprised to see the comments that B9 Emerald is better than Solus Wax Pro. Not doubting that it is for them.....but just not for me.

I used B9 Emerald for a year or so but went back to Cherry and cast it for about 5 years IIRC. A year ago I was forced to move to Solus Wax Pro when B9 stopped the Australian reseller of their resins from selling them. B9 did me a favour and I could never go back. I no longer have to post cure and the burnout cycle is so much faster with SWP. I was getting close to 100% cast success with B9 Cherry and get the same with SWP.

Great thing is that now you have choices that we did not have say 8 years ago. Just so long as you have a resin working for you all good.

cheers,
Sochin
Mikkopee
Novice

Postby Mikkopee » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:48 pm

sochin wrote:No help for the original poster but was surprised to see the comments that B9 Emerald is better than Solus Wax Pro. Not doubting that it is for them.....but just not for me.

I used B9 Emerald for a year or so but went back to Cherry and cast it for about 5 years IIRC. A year ago I was forced to move to Solus Wax Pro when B9 stopped the Australian reseller of their resins from selling them. B9 did me a favour and I could never go back. I no longer have to post cure and the burnout cycle is so much faster with SWP. I was getting close to 100% cast success with B9 Cherry and get the same with SWP.

Great thing is that now you have choices that we did not have say 8 years ago. Just so long as you have a resin working for you all good.

cheers,
Sochin

I dont know why casting SWP is so difficult. We have tried everything: different plasters (now we use Optoma Prestige), different tempereatures, bench times, cures etc. No help.
I dont know if our kiln is too big and doesnt heat up fast enough. Thats only thing I can think of.
Mikkopee
Novice

Postby Mikkopee » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:40 am

sochin wrote:No help for the original poster but was surprised to see the comments that B9 Emerald is better than Solus Wax Pro. Not doubting that it is for them.....but just not for me.

cheers,
Sochin

Here is what problems we have when casting SWP.
setting.jpg

ring.jpg
sochin
Novice

Postby sochin » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:53 pm

[/quote]
I dont know why casting SWP is so difficult. We have tried everything: different plasters (now we use Optoma Prestige), different tempereatures, bench times, cures etc. No help.
I dont know if our kiln is too big and doesnt heat up fast enough. Thats only thing I can think of.[/quote]

There are so many variables in casting resins but for what I used for B9 Cherry the transition to SWP gave me just as good results...I actually think better and quicker. That said if you have another resin working for you then stick with that. I would have no issues going back to B9 resins if SWP did not work for me.

Here is what I do for SWP ...it may or may not be of use to you if you want to try some more.

I invest as much as I can straight after print. If I am letting the prints stand till the next day then I make sure I rinse them in IPA and blow dry straight before investing. The prints sweat.

The B9 prints store much better IMO (especially after you post cure) than the SWP. I have been experimenting with storing the SWP sealed in a fridge....still undecided if this works as well as casting straight after printing.

I use Omega + investment with demineralised water (tap water is no good for me) that has 13grams per litre of boric acid diluted into it. I have the demineralised water at 13 degrees which gives me a slurry temp of 22 degrees celsius when I add it to room temp investment where I live. I let the investment stand for 2 to 3 hours.

I use a small Neycraft and ramp to the investment max in an hour. I have steel bars on the bottom of the furnace to allow air flow under the flasks. I occasionally open the door to the furnace to add fresh air to assist in burnout. I then hold a bit below that for 3 to 5 hours depending on the size of the model to be cast, drop back to cast temperature and cast. HTH

cheers,
Sochin
sochin
Novice

Postby sochin » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:05 pm

Mikkopee wrote:Here is what problems we have when casting SWP.

Might be a cleaning issue and/or reaction with the investment. If I over clean the SWP models they can break down. Perhaps check you models after cleaning if you are not already to see if that is an issue.

I also wonder if leaving invested flasks stand for too long can lead to the resin sweating inside the flask and giving surface and burnout issues. No proof of this but that is why I try to only let them stand for about 3 hours.

That said....we all only have so much time so if you have another resin working for you then stick to it. Now is so much better than when we had to make one of the few resins we had to choose from work. Today you just use what works the easiest for you. Someone else might have other ideas.

Good luck.

cheers,
Sochin
Mikkopee
Novice

Postby Mikkopee » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:13 pm

sochin wrote:

I dont know if our kiln is too big and doesnt heat up fast enough. Thats only thing I can think of.[/quote]

There are so many variables in casting resins but for what I used for B9 Cherry the transition to SWP gave me just as good results...I actually think better and quicker. That said if you have another resin working for you then stick with that. I would have no issues going back to B9 resins if SWP did not work for me.

Here is what I do for SWP ...it may or may not be of use to you if you want to try some more.

I invest as much as I can straight after print. If I am letting the prints stand till the next day then I make sure I rinse them in IPA and blow dry straight before investing. The prints sweat.

The B9 prints store much better IMO (especially after you post cure) than the SWP. I have been experimenting with storing the SWP sealed in a fridge....still undecided if this works as well as casting straight after printing.

I use Omega + investment with demineralised water (tap water is no good for me) that has 13grams per litre of boric acid diluted into it. I have the demineralised water at 13 degrees which gives me a slurry temp of 22 degrees celsius when I add it to room temp investment where I live. I let the investment stand for 2 to 3 hours.

I use a small Neycraft and ramp to the investment max in an hour. I have steel bars on the bottom of the furnace to allow air flow under the flasks. I occasionally open the door to the furnace to add fresh air to assist in burnout. I then hold a bit below that for 3 to 5 hours depending on the size of the model to be cast, drop back to cast temperature and cast. HTH

cheers,
Sochin[/quote]
WOW, thanks! Lot of new information here!
I didnt know that prints can sweat..

I will try these things.