Shrinkage measurements print to cast.

Discuss casting techniques
Archerm
Solus Master
Shrinkage measurements print to cast.

Postby Archerm » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:22 pm

Okay so here are some measurements from a little test I did over the past few days.
I printed a piece using the Emerald resin. Cured for 4 hours. Invested in Triumph investment. Cast in 14ky gold.

The print right out of the printer measurements. The measurements were dead on with the drawing.

Overall the shrinkage was less then I was guessing it to be.seems like the diameter shrink a hair more than thicknesses.

Green print, Measurements after 4hours UV cure, Over night cure
Across the head on top, 7.25mm, 7.20, 7.13
Inside diameter widest diameter, 18.75mm, 18.70, 18.64
outside diameter at the end of bead work, 23.00mm, 22.95, 22.88
Width of shank at end of bead work, 4.00 mm, 3.99, 3.98

Measurements after cast 10hour burnout.
Across the head on top, 7.19mm
Inside diameter widest diameter, 18.68mm
outside diameter at the end of bead work, 22.93mm
Width of shank at end of bead work, 3.99 mm

Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Re: Shrinkage measurements print to cast.

Postby Jewelermdt » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:07 am

That's great. Nice pictures

Thanks for the info.
robin
Solus Expert

Postby robin » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:54 pm

Great info. Thanks Mark!
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Postby Wdshea » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:15 pm

Have you used b9 yellow? If so, do you find emerald to have any advantages over yellow other than it's easier to see the details?
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:41 am

Great illustration... On the subject of shrinkage .I have realized that my prints do shrink when I microwave then in oil. Nevertheless that is the fastest way to really cure your prints.
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:49 am

Wdshea wrote:Have you used b9 yellow? If so, do you find emerald to have any advantages over yellow other than it's easier to see the details?

"
Both resins do cast pretty well following the protocol. Though. it is stated on their website "The ultimate casting resin"....There's just one caveat "based on feedback from jewelers"!!!
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:18 pm

No I haven't tried the yellow yet. I have been having great results with the emerald. I am presently getting ready to print some pieces with the new SolusProto resin and make some molds for some pieces. The SlousProto resin has beautiful finish and doesn't break down till the temp is over 500 degrees minimum!! For casting I will continue with the emerald for now but my switch and try the MJ Waxcast as Bob is getting very favorable results with it and his Solus. I believe that Emil is testing it right now or will be soon.

On a side note I have learned that with resin models a minimum bench set of any investment should be at least 3 hours. I have also learned that a faster burnout schedule like the one in the thread below works much better with resin models in plasticast and phosphate based investments. A faster burnout brings the resin to the flash point faster and doesn't seem to give the resin the opportunity to damage the mold cavity like a slower burnout schedule does. It has been a slowly evolving process but getting excellent results so far.Mark

Burnout recommendation thread.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=250