School ring

Discuss casting techniques
wawatobi
Novice
School ring

Postby wawatobi » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:26 pm

I've had a Projet 1200 for two years. It's now not working and 3D Systems say they do not repair them so I bought the Solus. I was never able to
cast a school ring from my Projet models. There was always ash in the lettering. See the attachments, The nurse ring is my third cast with
Solus model and Cherry resin. This is as good as I get with carving wax and my Revo Mill. I see a military ring on one of these posts with lots
of inclusions in the top. My opinion is that these are investment inclusions. You can probably avoid this by starting your burnout at 250F for the
first two hours. I do this with all hard carving wax and plastics. To cure my models, I put them in a cup of water, microwave until boiling, let cool
for half an hour and repeat two more times. Then at least three hours under ultraviolet light in a nail curer. The investment I use is Plasticast.
I use this for everything now. You need a vacuum mixer if you're going to use plasticast and a vibrator while pouring the investment.
Attachments
Feb3.jpg
Feb1.jpg
reify
Site Admin

Re: School ring

Postby reify » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:07 am

Looks fantastic, thank you for sharing.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Re: School ring

Postby Jewelermdt » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:05 am

Get the Green B9 resin and give it a try . Cast very well in regular Satincast and Normal wax burn out.