Post Curing

Discuss casting techniques
M-Williams
Solus Master
Re: Post Curing

Postby M-Williams » Mon May 30, 2016 11:26 pm

The most important factor you have to take into account is that resin tend to expand around 800 .you can cast a light ring or earring studs in satin without any issue .

the only issue I encounter with Boric acid/ plasticast . Ht takes hell of a time for the investment to set.
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Postby Wdshea » Tue May 31, 2016 5:12 am

i actually find that boric decreases set time. 1hr benchset works, 3hrs is hard as rock, 2hrs is just right.

the longer a flask is allowed to benchset, the more dense it becomes.

this was obvious since i am vacuum casting, the metal didn't want to go as easily with the 3hr.
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Tue May 31, 2016 3:37 pm

You shouldn't have to use the 2% boric and 2% calcium nitrate in the Plasticast. I have been using Plasticast for the past few months with zero issues. The full cure and the faster burnout has been key.
Wdshea wrote:thanks for the tip, i've been resisting PBI due to cost and our luck with plasticast has been satisfactory. i also use 2% boric and 2% calcium nitrate, that makes my investment VERY hard. especially at 36:100. i recommend those additives to anyone.

our drawback is we had zero experience in 3D design or casting a year ago... so we're trying to figure out what will work for us. fortunately, we're about 98% there.

i'll post some pics sometime.
Wdshea
Solus Expert

Postby Wdshea » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:08 am

it may have just been my layer exposure being too low, but i won't be changing whats working. it is a bitch to remove the castings, because i let them cool down a lot before removal.
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:37 pm

You can remove your investment in no time. I have been using this process for the past 10 years.

https://www.amazon.com/EXPERT-3000-PSI- ... entries*=0