Emerald Resin to Metal Conversion Chart, Specifically Sterling Silver

Discuss casting techniques
flameswithin
Novice
Emerald Resin to Metal Conversion Chart, Specifically Sterling Silver

Postby flameswithin » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:47 am

Hey everyone,

I've been doing some casting with the b9Emerald resin with pretty good results. I've mostly been guessing at weights, assuming the specific gravity (?) is pretty close to that of wax. Does anyone have any solid data on calculating metal weights from the emerald resin, though? Specifically for casting sterling silver?

Thanks!
-Phil
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Re: Emerald Resin to Metal Conversion Chart, Specifically Sterling Silver

Postby Jewelermdt » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:17 am

Use the Search function... Discussed viewtopic.php?f=9&t=90
flameswithin
Novice

Postby flameswithin » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:45 am

I did use the search function. I also found that thread. I was hoping someone had more updated and relevant information. That thread discusses Cherry resin, not Emerald, and the best information is that the resin is "slightly heavier" than wax. Then someone gives a conversion unit for 14k yellow gold, which is not what I'm casting in, heh. It's not a big deal, I'm sure I'll have enough metal, I was just hoping for some better data. Cheers.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:15 am

My bad. I only looked fast. I get confused between the different forums I'm on. Now guessing the info was on 3dcadjewelry's forum. A great forum if you are not on there. http://3dcadjewelry.com/forum/login.php ... da0481e771 You'll have to sign up and get approved to view the whole forum.
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:34 am

Found this on the B9 Forum.. Credit to Robert Howle

If u take the weight of the resin model and x 0.90 this will give u an equivalent wax weight. Then it's just a simple step of multiplying the "wax" weight by the SG of the metal to be used. Here is a pretty complete list of Specific Gravity of most metals u migh use. Specific Gravity is just weight per unit volume. Water is one and all specific gravity values are established with water being 1.00 SG. Wax is 1.00 SG.
rkundla
Solus Master

Postby rkundla » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:28 pm

Like Jewlermdt said, it is all about getting to the wax equivalent.

Some data on B9 forum put the SG of the cured resin about 1.1, so I weigh out the tree which is a hybrid of wax and resin, divide that by 1.1 and then multiply by 10.33 (specific gravity of sterling, give or take). That gets me pretty close without a monster button and no impact in my casts to the items on the tree.

If I was casting heavier items, I may fudge up the values a little to ensure I have a larger button to deal with the shrinkage of metal.
Dave D
Novice

Postby Dave D » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:37 am

I was curious about the same thing. I am new to the Solus and B9 materials I have an Envisiontec Micro as well so I compared the exact same model grown on either machine The ET part in Pic 100 and the Solus with the B9 Green. I compared the weights and they are both exactly the same. For Pic 100 I use a weight factor of 1.1 This may not be exact but it will get you in the ball park. You can input this number into any chart you have available.
Attachments
SD Chart.JPG