Success curing and casting Emerald green resin

Discuss casting techniques
voudas
Re: Success curing and casting Emerald green resin

Postby voudas » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:33 am

very helpful info...

just begun playing with emerald as well.

some questions,

-do you uv cure your models dry or inside water? 10mins are enough? can u post a post cured model pic? mine get a dry white surface look (i cure them inside tap water between a sandwich of 2x 365nm uv nail lamps, after IPA and soap water rinse. i will also try distilled)
-is the microwave drill necessary? and if so, why some people use baby oil and others use water? what's the diff?

nice castings btw!
SBright
Novice

Postby SBright » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:54 pm

Bob-

Thanks for the heads up about the 6 hour cure time! It actually makes scheduling easier as I like to burn out overnight.

I had a couple of really really good castings and then a slew of mediocre ones. I'm thinking this is why.

-Stan
SBright
Novice

Postby SBright » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:55 pm

Voudas- Oil holds heat longer than water
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:19 pm

My schedule is simple don't over think it. I don't change what has worked for 6 months.

1. Print and leave on supports.
2. Rinse in isopropyl alcohol.
3. Rinse with warm water.
4. UV cure (no water or oil) depending on your UV curing device this could take 10 minutes or over night.
5. Microwave models with supports in distilled water 3 times 2.5 min to 3.0 min let water cool to the touch between microwaving the second and third time. Add distilled water as needed.
6. Rinse with cold water and let dry.you can use compressed air to dry.
7. Remove supports and touch up model if needed.
8. Sprue up models for casting.
9. Invest in plasticast 38/100 very important.
10. After investing l remove the base after about 45 minutes.
11. Let flasks bench set or leave in cold oven with the bases off for a minimum of 6 hours I personally like 10-12 hours.
12. Start burnout. Ramp straight up to 800F within 1 hour and hold for 3 hours.
13. After the first 3 hours ramp straight up to 1350-1450F.Hold for 1-2 hours.
14. Bring down to casting temp and cast.
15. Make sure you cast with enough metal so model and sprues are 60% of the total metal weitht 40% should be the button weight.

You will most likely have issues if you try to shortcut any of the above steps.

voudas wrote:very helpful info...

some questions,

-do you uv cure your models dry or inside water? 10mins are enough? can u post a post cured model pic? mine get a dry white surface look (i cure them inside tap water between a sandwich of 2x 365nm uv nail lamps, after IPA and soap water rinse. i will also try distilled)
-is the microwave drill necessary? and if so, why some people use baby oil and others use water? what's the diff?

nice castings btw!
Jewelermdt
Solus Master

Postby Jewelermdt » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:36 am

I microwave my models in oil. Don't have to worry about evaporation.
After 3 times at 3 minuets with a wait of 15min in between at a minimum, cause as said above, it holds heat longer, I clean in water and Dawn dish soap. Dip in alcohol to dry.
invest.
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:57 pm

voudas wrote:very helpful info...

some questions, posting.php?mode=quote&f=9&p=3919#

-do you uv cure your models dry or inside water? 10mins are enough? I UV cure them DRY. It depends on the UV curing device on how long you UV cure. The higher the power of the UV curing Device the Shorter the curing Time.
Can u post a post cured model pic. Pic below no white residue.
mine get a dry white surface look (i cure them inside tap water between a sandwich of 2x 365nm uv nail lamps, after IPA and soap water rinse. i will also try distilled)I don't UV cure in water If you are use Distilled not Tap water. I don't see the need for water during the UV curing process.
-is the microwave drill necessary? Yes it is.and if so, why some people use baby oil and others use water? what's the diff? Really no difference. The water does evaporate but cools down faster. It doesn't mater which you use but it is a necessary step don't leave it out.

nice castings btw!
[/quote]

SBright
Novice

Postby SBright » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:07 am

I've been burning out the flasks after about two hours wait time with mixed results. Are you guys rewetting the flasks after they dry for 6 to 8 hours? Or just going right into the kiln?
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:26 pm

I don't re-wet the flasks. They go straight into the kiln. It is Important for some of the moisture to evaporate out of the Investment. (note) I actually put my flasks in the room temp oven at 5pm in the afternoon and my oven comes on at 4 am the next morning. No ill effects. It seems the longer the wait the better the cast if you follow the steps above.

SBright wrote:I've been burning out the flasks after about two hours wait time with mixed results. Are you guys rewetting the flasks after they dry for 6 to 8 hours? Or just going right into the kiln?
voudas

Postby voudas » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:44 pm

can't thank you enough :D
Vort3d
Novice

Postby Vort3d » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:54 pm

When you stick em in the oven, do you have them button up, or down?