Help with Casting Platinum

Discuss casting techniques
samatheang
Solus Expert
Help with Casting Platinum

Postby samatheang » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:35 am

Does anyone have this problem with casting Platinum or know why it is like this? I am using Emerald resin and Invest RP with Centrifuge. I am sure it has nothing to do with the resin or the curing because I am casting fine with gold. It always comes out with rough surface and very fragile (Break when bent). Any idea would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_1079.JPG
IMG_1081.JPG
IMG_1082.JPG
ELYPSI
Novice

Re: Help with Casting Platinum

Postby ELYPSI » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:08 pm

Did you reused the platinum from another casting?
How many times are you using the same crucible for casting platinum?
samatheang
Solus Expert

Postby samatheang » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:21 am

ELYPSI wrote:Did you reused the platinum from another casting?
How many times are you using the same crucible for casting platinum?

Thank you for your response, Elypsi.

Yes, I reused the platinum from another casting, and I have been using the same crucible for about ten times already. Do you think those are the problem?

How many time do you think I can reuse the platinum? Same thing for the crucible, how many time before I replace it?

Someone told me that maybe because I didn't use enough platinum. Since the extra platinum at the bottom of my tree is too little, there is not enough force to push the platinum in while casting. I don't think that's the problem. What do you think?

Thanks again for the help.
nillard
Novice

Postby nillard » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:22 pm

I only use my centrifuges machine when casting platinum... Also use different investment.. Have you had success with platinum before?
ELYPSI
Novice

Postby ELYPSI » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:50 pm

I have an indutherm and they recomend to use the crucible maximum of 5 times.
With gold castings I reuse part of the metal from other castings, but platinum is more tricky, so we always cast with new platinum.
samatheang
Solus Expert

Postby samatheang » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:38 pm

nillard wrote:I only use my centrifuges machine when casting platinum... Also use different investment.. Have you had success with platinum before?

I haven't had any success yet. It always come out with rough surface like the picture. I have tried both regular R&R Platinum Investment (Not the Plasticast Plat.) and Invest RP. I heard a lot of good thing about Invest RP, and I got better result than the R&R too. Just not good enough. :(
samatheang
Solus Expert

Postby samatheang » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:51 pm

ELYPSI wrote:I have an indutherm and they recomend to use the crucible maximum of 5 times.
With gold castings I reuse part of the metal from other castings, but platinum is more tricky, so we always cast with new platinum.

Thank you, Elypsi. I will try it with new platinum and new crucible. By the way, do you use pure platinum or 950? If 950, what do you mix your platinum with? Thanks.
ELYPSI
Novice

Postby ELYPSI » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:05 am

Platinum 950. Investment R&R
samatheang
Solus Expert

Postby samatheang » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:01 am

ELYPSI wrote:Platinum 950. Investment R&R

I meant do you mix pure platinum with alloy to get 950 or you just bought the 950 Platinum? If you mix it yourself, could you tell me what kind of Alloy do you use please? Thanks.
jefree
Novice

Postby jefree » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:12 pm

the breaking apart problem has to do with not enough heat, the casting must fuse, what you have is like sand pressed together, it fine until you bend it etc... that's why it is matted instead of shiny. When you cast platinum, keep heating until it has a white glow around it, that's the only way I remember.

Most investments today produce a rather rough casting in platinum, if you really know what you're doing (I don't know enough) you can obtain a smooth casting . After 40 years of casting I now use Zero Porosity who have the capability to produce smooth castings in platinum, they are probably the best casters available to jewelers.