Help with Casting Platinum

Discuss casting techniques
Jewelermdt
Solus Master
Re: Help with Casting Platinum

Postby Jewelermdt » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:19 am

Tech Forum (http://www.techformcasting.com/) is another great Platinum casting company. They have a HIP process that make porosity free casting. And it polishes like white gold
Kevin
Novice

Postby Kevin » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:52 pm

I cannot reccomned Tech Form Casting enough, they are the best. Matt at Golden Sun also does a great job casting platinum.
samatheang
Solus Expert

Postby samatheang » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:25 pm

Thank you for your advice Jefree. I am pretty sure I melt it very well with enough heat. I have a pretty big torch. I have tried about five times already even with new platinum and new crucible, but still no luck. Still not sure why it keeps on doing that. Any other advice you might have? Thank you.

jefree wrote:the breaking apart problem has to do with not enough heat, the casting must fuse, what you have is like sand pressed together, it fine until you bend it etc... that's why it is matted instead of shiny. When you cast platinum, keep heating until it has a white glow around it, that's the only way I remember.

Most investments today produce a rather rough casting in platinum, if you really know what you're doing (I don't know enough) you can obtain a smooth casting . After 40 years of casting I now use Zero Porosity who have the capability to produce smooth castings in platinum, they are probably the best casters available to jewelers.
samatheang
Solus Expert

Postby samatheang » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:12 am

Jewelermdt wrote:Tech Forum (http://www.techformcasting.com/) is another great Platinum casting company. They have a HIP process that make porosity free casting. And it polishes like white gold

Thank you, Jewelermdt and Kevin. I am still trying to learn to cast it myself. If I can't figure it out, I will try those caster that you guys recommended.
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:39 pm

This looks like a platinum contamination. We cast platinum very often .we are extremely successful with. Though we ALWAYS use fresh platinum.
Archerm
Solus Master

Postby Archerm » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:02 am

If you really want good results get a vertical centrifugal casting machine. They are expensive.
samatheang
Solus Expert

Postby samatheang » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:08 am

M-Williams wrote:This looks like a platinum contamination. We cast platinum very often .we are extremely successful with. Though we ALWAYS use fresh platinum.

Archerm wrote:If you really want good results get a vertical centrifugal casting machine. They are expensive.

Thank you, Mike and Mark. I am using a Vertical Centrifugal Casting machine, but manual one. Something like the Neycraft Spincaster, but vertical. Anyway, I got the problem solved. It turns out that I need more heat. Changed to an even bigger torch, and it came out better now. Thank you again for everyone's help here.
Gtg330
Novice

Postby Gtg330 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:43 pm

the cracking invested plat suggest contamination. send in for refining. I have use a regular centrifuge caster with a short arm and heavyduty spring to cast platinum with good results. platinum casting is a different animal and you will not get perfect results all the time. I also use astrovest from R&R for platinum unless you need righrt away then I use RP investment but I hate that stuff.
wawatobi
Novice

Postby wawatobi » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:46 am

I've been casting for 33 years. I leave the platinum to the big guys. Looking at the surfaces I notice that the roughness is outside of the model surface. In my experience that means the casting investment is breaking down.
M-Williams
Solus Master

Postby M-Williams » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:54 pm

wawatobi wrote:I've been casting for 33 years. I leave the platinum to the big guys. Looking at the surfaces I notice that the roughness is outside of the model surface. In my experience that means the casting investment is breaking down.

What investment do you use for you platinum casting. Thanks.